talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   Darrell Peart inspired night stand (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/5265-darrell-peart-inspired-night-stand.html)

btracey1 03-25-2012 09:10 PM

Darrell Peart inspired night stand

3 Attachment(s)
This night stand, which I hope will be ....night stands...soon, was built using a combination of Festools and hand tools.

Corwin 03-25-2012 09:18 PM

Re: Darrell Peart inspired night stand

Great looking night stand! :thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I'd like to have a closer look at the detail near the bottom of the legs -- looks nice from what I can see in your first photo.

btracey1 03-25-2012 09:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Corwin,
Here's another shot of the leg detail. It's was done using Darrell's designed jig and a 1400 router. Essentially it's just a jig with a small ramp.
Brian

AkTom 03-25-2012 10:52 PM

Very nice. I just want to know how they multiply. Is it the finish, or the quality that leads them to self reproduce???:eek: If the process gets out of hand, I'll gladly take a few off your hands.
Tom

btracey1 03-25-2012 11:43 PM

AkTom,It's a top secret, proprietary finish handed down for generations.
I should have made two at the same time, but wasn't sure about the build and more importantly, the wood choice and finish. This one is considered the prototype, at least for me. I'm sure Darrell Peart has had many iterations on the same theme.
Thanks for looking.
Brian

Poto 03-26-2012 12:03 AM

Beautiful, Brian! Great proportions and flawless execution. Lots of nice details there.

I've always been bothered by breadboard ends that extend above the table top. I can imagine putting a coffee cup on there, and have it tip over... :eek:

Any pictures of the build?

Corwin 03-26-2012 12:11 AM

Brian, Thank you for posting the picture of your the leg detail. Nice touch! :clapping1::clapping1::clapping1:

joraft 03-26-2012 12:26 AM

Brian, I really love that night stand! I'm a big fan of Greene & Greene

You've inspired me to order Darrell's book. :)

Okami 03-26-2012 04:27 AM

Im not familiar with Darrell peart, but that looks like a very nicely build piece:thumbsup2:
The joinery looks great and the finish makes the piece glow.
Is the wood mahogany, or something else?
I'd be interested in hearing about the finishing process.
Very nice, thanks for showing us!

btracey1 03-26-2012 05:16 AM

Okami,Darrell Peart is a furniture maker that has studied the styles and techniques used by Greene&Greene and incorporates a lot of them in his work which can be seen at his website: www.furnituremaker.com
He has also written a great book for anyone interested in making Greene&Greene style furniture, it's titled: "Greene&Greene Design Elements for the Workshop" where he covers many techniques needed.
This nightstand was inspired by the book and has met with my wife's approval, so another is under way now.
The finishing process was pretty straight forward.
Two applications of General Finishes water based Dye Stain (7 parts Orange/ 3 parts Med Brown) were then covered with 5 or 6 coats of General Finishes Arm-R-Seal wipe on Topcoat. It was finished off with two coats of Rennaissance Wax
Brian