talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Dining Table

My inlaws recently gutted their kitchen. Well, I gutted it. And redid everything. It was long overdue. Now that the kitchen is done, we talked about changing out the dining table to something a little nicer.

Much like Poto's recent experience, these things always start with parameters. Size, style, wood, available space. Then you have to make something that fits all those little check boxes.

I played with it for a few days, and bounced a couple of ideas back and forth with Fred. We largely agreed in that process about what changes and why.

This is the prelim drawing that they liked.
dining-table-dintab.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Dining Table

The wood arrived Friday. I bought at least double what I needed. I wanted some ability to sort and pick through. The price was good; you don't always get to specify details though. Cross your fingers.

First time I've ever had QSWO come in 16' lengths.

Here's just a shop shot of rough cutting pieces down to size.

Well, maybe not. I keep getting an error message. Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-19-2012, 08:21 PM

Ok, it's not going to do more pictures at the moment. We'll have to sort this out later. Anyway. Today so far I got the top in clamps, and more will follow.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

I've found that I can't upload more that 5 pictures at a time. Perhaps that was your problem?

This looks great, Randy. I like the combination of curves and straight lines. Personally I would have liked the legs a little thicker (side-to-side) to balance their width (end-to-end), but I'm sure it'll look beautiful.

Are those breadboard ends? They seem very wide (measured along the length of the table).

How's the dog going to lie under the table with that trestle there?
Old 03-19-2012, 10:18 PM

Lol. Good call. You'll be happy to know, both Fred and I said "the legs need to be thicker". That really is a prelim drawing. I didn't even realize when I posted it that I hadn't changed the legs on it. They are thicker in reality. Or will be. Or something.

btw, check your email?
Old 03-19-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
How's the dog going to lie under the table with that trestle there?
Perhaps he has Chihuahuas, or even cats!

I am also glad that the legs will be thicker and also am a little concerned about the length of the bread board ends.

Regards,

Rob
Old 03-20-2012, 01:08 AM

Cool Randy
I'm also glad to see the legs are going to be thicker.
So, you started with the top first? I'm never that brave, and always make the base first. Is your reasoning so that you can start putting a finish on the top while you're making the base?
Looking forward to some photos
Old 03-20-2012, 01:19 AM

My experience with dining tables is always the customer asks for way more seating (e.g., we need to sit 10 people) than the space available. There are standards for how much space each diner needs. But rather than get into an argument, I bring a piece of cardboard (taped together pieces) or plywood in the appropriate shape for the number of people they wish to sit. I never fits in the room, or if it does, there's no room for chairs. Then we start calculating the other direction - how many people can we sit in this room?

Looking forward to pics!
Old 03-20-2012, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Okamisan, for my dining room table I made the top first, as I wasn't convinced it would end up the predicted size. I didn't want to make a base that was too big for the top, and have to re-do it. However, for the Arts and Crafts table, I made the base first. Guess I got more confident over time. Plus, it was a lot smaller...
Old 03-20-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Okamisan, for my dining room table I made the top first, as I wasn't convinced it would end up the predicted size. I didn't want to make a base that was too big for the top, and have to re-do it. However, for the Arts and Crafts table, I made the base first. Guess I got more confident over time. Plus, it was a lot smaller...
Ah.. If I have top to make that's not a regular rectangle, I almost always make a full size pattern on a sheet of ply. I then select and cut my boards according to the pattern.