talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.
Default Re: Utility Drawers

Looking at the joint again, isn't all the glue surface end-grain to long-grain?
Old 03-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

Tear-out, yes, but at least there's some long grain on those tabs. With solid wood, the grains all going the same direction, with little holding those tabs on. At least, that's what I would have thought.

With solid wood, is there a problem with the fact that almost all the glue surface (and there's lots!) is end grain?

Oops - Chris beat me to it!
Old 03-08-2012, 08:20 PM

You can examine the grain angles and analyze all you want but I'm telling you, plywood or solid wood, it's a strong as any drawer I've seen. And if you think of a half blind DT, there's considerable end grain there as well.

Here's a thought, maybe when I install these drawers I'll use the old drawers for some strength testing and post the results here.

Last edited by JimKirkpatrick; 03-09-2012 at 12:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:43 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

I'd love to see the results of the test! Maybe load the drawer with heavy stuff and yank it open repeatedly?
Old 03-09-2012, 12:04 AM

About all I can muster is a drop test starting from 4 feet to a concrete floor. I can go as high as 12 from the balcony upstairs.
Better get painting!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Jim,

I'm curious about using this joint for boxes. Think it would work well? I was thinking of building boxes to cart some of my tools around to classes.

Mike
Old 03-21-2012, 12:48 AM

Mike, I wouldn't hesitate to use them for your tool boxes. I would be sure to fully capture the plywood bottom, that is, on all 4 sides to help fight downward shear.
I have my new drawers installed. Looking at the old drawers, even after 16 years the joints are just as tight as the day I glued them up, despite carrying a constant 50 lbs. or so of pots and pans.
I'd love to give them some sort of stress test to see how many lbs. of force it takes to break them apart. I'm thinking a come-along and a spring scale might work? I don't own either. Any ideas out there?
Old 03-21-2012, 01:32 AM
Super Moderator

For load tests I think you'd want to do the static load (like a come-along and spring scale), and a dynamic load (drop something in/on it). Which would be more useful? The static test would be good for understanding how the joints stand up to having lots of weight on them. But the dynamic test might be better for reproducing putting heavy pots in/out of the drawers.

Tags
drawer, drawers, lock miter, lock mitered