talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 08:31 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.
Default Advise needed....

I have a client interested in a custom stool for his wive's shower
so she can sit while showering. I have some 8/4 Cypress in my
inventory and would like to use it for this project. Anybody have
any reason to try and talk me out of using it? I have seen some tubs
and shower floors online so I am thinking It will work. I am not planning
to use ane any finish other than epoxying the ends that will rest on the shower floor. I am also thinking of making some cypress dominoes for
the joints or I can check if my local Festool dealers has the sipo in stock.
Any input is appreciated.
Matt
Old 02-27-2012, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Advise needed....

I don't have any direct experience working with cypress, but by anecdote, the guttering on my parent's house was cypress, installed in 1955 in the Hudson valley of NY, lasted until about 1998, only painted with lead-based white paint every 6-8 years. It will weather to a light grey without a finish. It was probably subject to several hundred feet of rainfall, snow & ice over the 40+ years it was installed.

About the only other good choice for such a stool I can think of would be teak.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2012, 02:40 AM

+1 on using the wood you already have. Teak or Ipe would mean buying some more wood you DON'T have on hand.
Plus 1 on the epoxy for the bottom of the feet/legs.
The only real concern I have is if the shower is vented with a fan, as it's rough for wood that struggles to dry out if the bathroom is poorly vented or if one user in the house doesn't like running a fan while showering or even after the shower since they 'hate' the noise or they feel 'cold' with the fan on. You won't have any control over this of course, but it's nice to know in advance...
Old 02-28-2012, 11:07 AM

Hmmm.
I'm ok with the cedar.
I'm good with sealing the end grain.
I think I'd feel better with cutting a piece of quarter inch neropreme rubber, countersink a recess in the rubber and fasten with a stainless steel screw.
( you will want the head of the screw to be recessed a bit beyond the face of the rubber)

I believe there would be less slippage by doing so and the end of the leg would not be constantly sitting on a film of water. Thus allowing the epoxy seal to last longer.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Cypress, mostly yes. It holds up very well in wet weather, per Alex's experiences. Never had occasion to put it in a shower.
I like Roger's idea on the rubber feet, for that reason, and another.
Back when I was a kid, our Boy Scout camp had a project to build a foot bridge across a river. Kids from all over gave 5 bucks a plank for the wood, got to write, carve, or woodburn their name or whatever in it, and they were all sealed and installed. Didn't last for squat. What happened was by sealing them on the bottom, any moisture that came in the top, could not easily escape out the bottom. The bottom was in shade; yours would be on the floor. Seems similar in end result.
Wondering if Teak Oil has properties that would make it a good thing here. Don't know.