talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

Default Arts and Crafts table

Last summer someone (a former student, of all things) saw some of my work on my Facebook page, and decided to commission me to build them a small kitchen table. They were remodeling their kitchen, and wanted something to sit below a window, where they could eat breakfast. They had a little boy, and another on the way, so the table had to be durable and stable.

They wanted a Mission-style table. It could only be 30x32" to fit in the space. That meant that the legs had to be at the corners, with very little in the middle - otherwise their knees would keep bumping things. I showed them some Mission designs, but they all had thin vertical elements under the table. I was worried they would break, if someone bumped them too hard. So I made up a bunch of other designs and showed them. Fortunately, the one I really liked was the one they chose:

I made it out of cherry (surprise, surprise). The theme was curves: I crowned the outside edges of the legs (which curved upward as well); the sides of the table top were curved and crowned, and the stretcher had a nice arch in it:

There was some complicated joinery in there. The top stretchers when through the legs in a bridle joint:

The top and bottom stretchers each crossed in a mitered full-lap joint (or whatever it might be called):

I cheated a bit on the stretcher-to-leg joint. They were done with dominos:

Attaching the table top was a bit of a challenge, since the legs ran diagonally to the top. I came up with a solution that would allow expansion in the top. I used the Domino to put through-mortises in the upper stretchers. Then I made buttons that were U-shaped. I cut off one arm of the button, pushed the rest through the slot, and then glued the arm back on the button. Then I screwed through each side of the button to secure the table top:

The top was made of a single plank of highly figured cherry that I resawed and rearranged. I clamped it up with my new Bowclamps (thanks Craig!). They were awesome! Best glue-up ever!

I spent a long time arranging the grain in the legs and top to complement the curves - the grain arches up the legs following the outside curves of the legs.

The table's finished with Minwax wipe-on poly. I did about 6 coats of gloss, and a final 2 coats of satin. If I were doing it again, I wouldn't use the satin - the gloss looked great.

I'm a bit booked this week, but I can show some pictures from the build, if anyone's interested.

Enjoy!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Arts and Crafts table

Very nice, Peter! Outstanding in the sunlight!

I discovered by accident one time that gloss can be deglossed with 0000 steel wool, but it is a lot of work.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Absolutely gorgeous, Peter! Both in design and execution. I would love to hear more about how you accomplished the mitered full lap joint.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-19-2012, 04:15 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Nice table! The lines and composition really work. Please show the pics.
Matt
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Sweet! Love the mitered lap joint. Please post the build pics when you get a chance!

And don't leave that cherry out in the sun too long!
Old 02-19-2012, 06:13 PM

That just might be the best thing you've yet turned out. I do like it quite well. All of it just works. The curves, the grain, the creative solutions.
As good as it looks now, just think how it's going to look in 10 years as that color deepens. You'll want to lay on the thing.
Old 02-19-2012, 06:51 PM

Most excellent. Beautiful piece. Love the figure, and the curves. And the back-drop too. Great job all around. And thanks...It was an honor to play a part.

And who doesn't want to see build pics??
Old 02-19-2012, 06:54 PM

I like the domino mortise that holds the top fasteners! Most excellent work Poto.
That's some awesome grain on the table top.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Well done Peter! Everything is perfect. I agree with Randy. This might be your best effort yet.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:26 PM

Beautiful proportions and great execution!

I would love to see the progress pics.

(I that your backyard? I didn't know you carried the rock theme from the outside into a water theme)