talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 05:29 AM

Default Re: Arts and Crafts table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
It's kind of overwhelming: 4000 oceanographers, all wanting to talk to you!
That's exactly why I don't go. 3500 oceanographers is about all I can handle

Nice table by the way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Peter,

Regarding my earlier comment about the water element - in your first photo what appears to be a pool behind your your table,
upon closer observation I now see that it is a large shadow hiding even more rocks.

Now about your upcoming articles, I would think that a good percentage of folks have a similar space arrangement and it would be inspiring to see of what one could achieve with such a set up.

(About your collection of handplanes, not so common. )
Also inspiring!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, Roger - the handplane collection is a bit unusual. At some point I want to do a thread on a subset of them. They're very special: I didn't buy them!

Tom: I know what you mean! Back in the old days it was only about 1500-2000 oceanographers. Much more manageable!
Old 02-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerSavatteri View Post

... Which spurs the thought, or the "vision" of an article you could write for Fine Woodworking or like - The title would be ,,,,, "Building Heirloom Quality Furniture in a Restricted Space"
That's a great idea! Although we'd have to deal with Peter going from merely "famous" to "infamous". And of course he would need even bigger hats.

Peter, I know I've said this before, but I am always very impressed with your craftsmanship and your eye for design.

(Do I spot a Marcou? )

Old 02-20-2012, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you, John. It's always nice to hear it again!

Yep - that's an S45 that Fred gave me. It's become my go-to plane - I just love it. I'll do a longer post on it at some point, as its provenance deserves some discussion. Along with quite a few of my other planes...
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

Yep - that's an S45 that Fred gave me ...
Lucky you, all he ever gives me is heartburn.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Super Moderator

Old 02-21-2012, 02:33 AM

Great table Potosan
Lovely board choice, could you see the grain and swirls in the rough state, or was it already skimmed?
Great joinery and nice finish too, thumbs up You do some fantastic work!

I don't think You could write an article about making do with the bare minimum and basic tools...Marcou, BridgeCity Tools, Kervmasters, Lie Nielsen, Festools...You have more and better than me, and I'm a full time woodworker I'm not kidding
By the way, my workshop is 5metres by 7metres

Last edited by Okami; 02-21-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:01 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the compliments, Okamisan.

Sounds like our shops are about the same size (yours might be slightly larger). But the fundamental thing that allows me to work so efficiently in my shop is not all my nice hand tools. It's my MFT1080's and the other Festools that go with it. And then my 14" Laguna bandsaw on wheels. The other things fit in a single tool chest, and only come out when I use them.

But those two MFTs make all the difference. They're truly the heart of my shop. I don't have any other work surface.

And in answer to your other question, I could see the grain patterns in the wood at the lumber yard. They were S4S, so it wasn't a big deal. The trick is finding pieces with enough heartwood relative to sapwood. You have to be pretty savvy to work around the sapwood and knots...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:24 AM

Nice - I got the chance to check out the finished piece in person. It looks lovely. When I was told you were making it for them, my first response was, "I assume it will be cherry!"