talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2012, 08:20 AM

Default A Jewellery Box

Hi all,

This is a jewellery box I made from Jarrah and Queensland Maple. I have to say that the pics really don't do the Maple justice.

It is 300 x 250 x x110mm and is finished with Wattyl Scandinavian oil, friction sealed to 4000g with an ETS150/3, then, after 3 days of drying, cut with EEE cream and finally coated with UBeaut Traditional Wax.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
jewellery-box-finished_2.jpg   jewellery-box-finished_1.jpg   jewellery-box-finished_5.jpg   jewellery-box-finished_7.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A Jewellery Box

Looks great, Rob. How are the drawer dividers held in place?

If it's for your wife, you're now going to have to fill it with jewelry. Best of luck!
Old 02-15-2012, 07:41 PM

Hi Poto,

Fortunately it's not for my wife. She's already got one and I've been through the pain of filling it!
The dividers are simply glued in place. I know rebates would be preferable, but I have had good success with this method.

Regards,

Rob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-15-2012, 10:52 PM

Very nice. Love the figuring in the wood.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 PM

It's for the girlfriend, then?
;-)
Old 02-15-2012, 11:33 PM

Nope, it's a commission for a young man in NSW to give to the love of his life. (I'm in Victoria)

If you want to see how it all was made, you can look here

Regards,

Rob
Old 02-16-2012, 06:11 PM

Nice box Rob! Are you worried at all about expansion and contraction in the lid?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Hi Jim.
Thanks for the kind words.

The dominoes are primarily to keep the inset panel and the border pieces flat. It's not clear in my diatribe, but the tenons aren't glued in. Also, the mortises, though they look like standard 1st cut mortises are, in fact, wider than the tenons, giving some movement with the weather.
I have used the same technique on a number of boxes over the past 6 years and had no trouble. The attached picture shows a Blue Gum Jewellery box, which was the pattern for the the Jarrah and Maple box. It was made 6 years ago and has a Red Gum border on the lid. Red Gum is notorious for moving. I've had no problem despite variation in temps from15 degrees C to 35 degrees C and humidity from 25 - 85%.
Thanks for asking.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
jewellery-box-bg-box_3.jpg   jewellery-box-bg-box_4.jpg   jewellery-box-bg-box_8.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 01:00 AM

Hi Rob, another beautiful box you made down under! It doesn't look like there is any room for expansion within the mitered framework. Here in the northeast, we could never get away with that.
I'm working on a box myself right now, although not half as beautiful as yours . Here's a picture of how we need to do things in this climate. I used a stopped dado in the stiles to receive a flat panel.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:05 AM

Hi Jim,

I lived for 4 years in Brookline MA and I understand what you are saying. The heat and humidity in both Summer andWinter are killers.

Regards,

Rob