talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Leigh Dovetail Jig Resurrection

I've used the FMT jig extensively, it's a great jig for a small shop. It's easy to use a d you'll be suprised how fast you can hang out joinery.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:52 PM

Hi everybody,

I take the opportunity of reading this thread (and looking at this very nice box) to raise a question about dovetails jigs: I searched a lot of discussions here and there about the compared merits of the Festool VS-600, the Leigh, the Keller, the Akeda and so on. Some of them would fit more than my actual needs but I just bought some green tools since the beginning of the year (OF-2200 *and* OF-1010, not mentionning MFS) and feel the need for a purse diet rest

Is someone aware of a homemade jig that could be used to make dovetails with a OF-1010. I thought of acquiring just the SZ-14 or SZ-20 templates (and the related template guide for the OF-1010) and build a jig around it. So if one day I think it's time to get the whole system (VS-600 is still available in Europe) I will be on my way and the first investment won't get lost...

Just looking for some advice. Is it a silly idea or maybe has someone worked it out in some way already?

- plouf -
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-26-2012, 03:17 AM

Sorry Plouf, I doin't have a clue. When some of our people wake up I'm sure you'll get some answers.
Welcome.
Tom
Old 02-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry, Plouf - I don't know the answer to your question. However, you might consider getting an inexpensive jig with fixed spacing for doing dovetails until your wallet starts to feel up to the task of a Leigh jig. I've heard that the Porter-Cable jig is quite good. Fine woodworking did a review of these jigs a few years ago - they might have some useful advice.

Personally, I like the irregular spacing that the Leigh offers. But if you don't care about that, many jigs will do the trick for you. You don't need to spend the money on the Festool one. I don't think it's as nice as the Leigh or Akeda.

P.S. Welcome! I love the name!
Old 02-26-2012, 05:38 AM

Hi Poto and AkTom,

Thanks! I will try to put my hands on that old FW review.

- plouf -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
you might consider getting an inexpensive jig with fixed spacing for doing dovetails until your wallet starts to feel up to the task of a Leigh jig. I've heard that the Porter-Cable jig is quite good. Fine woodworking did a review of these jigs a few years ago - they might have some useful advice.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM

Plouf, sorry I missed you the first time around. I can't come up with anything homemade. Leigh came out with a simple template that you clamp on your work piece but then you're spending money that you could be saving for a DVR or Porter-Cable. Check SawMillCreek or Woodnet, there's always one listed for short money.

Tags
d1258r, leigh dovetail jig