talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Founding Member

Default Beautiful Bowl

A few weeks ago I asked our very own Randy Weber to make me one of his bowls. He sent me a less than stellar picture but even with that it looked pretty cool and it had part of a bullet still in the bowl back from when someone shot the tree that this came from. Plus it had some tracks from some insect whose name I cannot remember. So, I said that sounds great, lets do it. Well, Randy packed it and his wife Beth took and mailed it to me and today, it arrived.

I was stunned when I opened up the box as the picture that Randy sent me did not come even close to doing justice to it. I believe that my pictures also

do not do it justice but they are maybe a little closer. Part of what blew my mind is that this is pine but not like pine that I have ever seen. Randy finished it with cooked walnut oil. ENJOY!!!!!

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Beautiful Bowl

Wow! That's just crazy color and grain! I've never seen pine like that. It's like it's on fire. And from certain angles, it looks like there's a face in the bottom of the bowl.

Nice shape. I like the beetle tracks and the bullet. Serious character.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Kind words
I am still doing a little head scratching on just what to call the colorings.
Some have said it's beetle kill pine. Which, while similar, there's really not been much of that around here. Furthermore, out of the wood I got, this piece was the only one that had any beetle tracks, and I think those are post mortem. Beetle kill usually has a blue tinge to it; these are black. One piece had some red.
Another option is spalting. I'm not convinced there either, but it's possible. I've been told when pine spalts, it can develop a look like that, but it certainly does not look like spalting in any other species I have encountered.
My favorite theory so far: I showed a pic to an arborist, and he said it was possible that it picked up mineral or chemical residues from the soil. I like this theory because it helps explain the red color I saw, and because this tree grew over a leech field.
But I'm still very open to more thoughts. Either way, it's a great looking chunk of wood. I'd love to find more.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:42 PM

That is a beautiful bowl Randy. It makes me want to buy a lathe!
Lucky you, Fred.
Cricket
Old 02-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
That is a beautiful bowl Randy. It makes me want to buy a lathe!
Lucky you, Fred.
Cricket
Cricket,

Thank you very much and I could not agree with you more. Randy, I think that you are correct about the colors coming from mineral deposits. Now if you could just duplicate it.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 02-05-2012, 05:25 AM

It's a very, very rare species called Poowood. It makes popcorn or anything else you put in it taste better Seriously, I mean, great bowel, I mean bowl. I really do love it.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM

I am surprised the roots did not destroy your leach field.

Bowl turned out pretty nice.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
It's a very, very rare species called Poowood. It makes popcorn or anything else you put in it taste better Seriously, I mean, great bowel, I mean bowl. I really do love it.