talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 05:44 PM

Default Black Ash Kitchen

I've been meaning to put up some pics of this West Village kitchen we did, which was built just prior to the bubinga one, but I had not photographed it yet. These pics were done handheld, with no additional lighting, so are not fabulous, but you get the intent.

We really need to get a real photographer in there to do it. The peninsula counter is made from recycled heart pine. All the wood came from a couple of 12x12 columns salvaged from a NY warehouse. The company I bought it from resawed the boards for me. This counter is about 13' long and has a butt joint joined with draw-tite type bolts, and a decorative butterfly join in wenge (there are several scattered through out the top). We have pics of the counter fabrication which I have to dig out. I'll do that when I have some time.

In the meantime, we are starting a walnut and white lacquer kitchen on the upper W side of Manhattan, soon as we get the deposit that is.

Cricket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Black Ash Kitchen

Beautiful work Cricket!

I especially like the staggered inset pull detail.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mmmm, delicious! I love the wenge butterflies in the countertop. And the way the tiles echo the bricks outside.

My wife would object to the open shelves as "dust collectors". But they're very attractive...

Really nice work. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm looking forward to build pictures, if you can dig them out.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:54 PM

Thanks Roger. We worked out the pull detail at the request of the architect who liked the cutout pulls that you see in Dwell, etc. but didn't want to see the junk in the cabinet through the hole. There is a solid ash backer glued into a mortise on the back of the door, and a little finger scoop worked into the cutout. These were a royal pain in the ass to do. I think there was a total of two whole days to make these pulls for the entire kitchen.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:01 PM

I love the contrast of the pine against the black.
Old 02-02-2012, 09:19 PM

It looks pretty nice. The darker color we gave the pine is nice, and the wenge butterflies are not too contrasty, as they were before the pine was stained.

Here are some pics of the counter construction.

The top upside down.

Draw-tite hardware- just some bolts and nuts.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Super Moderator

The kitchen's definitely kick-ash!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I like the non-straight line, and 1/4 sawn pine.

The figure of plain sawn oak and ash usually looks out of scale but colored black it looks good. Nice work (yawn) as usual
Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM

Nobody's spotted the red herring yet. There's a piece of doug fir thrown in there. I was supposed to get x number of 8/4 heart pine planks from the columns, but they stuck in one board of fir to complete the order. I guess they figured I wouldn't know the diff. As it turned out, the stain equalized everything, so the fir is not that noticeable.
Cricket