talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2011, 02:44 AM

Default building a bench on wheels

I am ready to build a build 2 work benches on wheels. My shop space is limited... One will be a miter saw station, storage underneath and maybe some shelves behind. The other will be a work assembly table/bench. I have an old MFT1080 which is nice but a little small.
I like C. Paulks Ultimate mitersaw staion and Ultimate workbench. I don't do a whole lot of on site work anymore, so I'm not necessarily looking for something totally mobile. I do need to be able to move them about the shop though.
My current thoughts are to take several ideas I've seen and combine a few to suit my needs. My shop is approximately 27' x 27' with a 8' X 10' mechanical room in the corner. Any and all thoughts we be welcome.
Anybody know of any good caster sales???
Tom
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:20 AM

Default Re: building a bench on wheels

Tom,

I've put these three and four inch rubber casters with brakes from Grizzly on my router tables, miter saw table and setup table. Can't beat the price with stick. The brakes on the router tables get punished almost daily. For the price I thought they'd fall apart long ago but they really are heavy duty.

The rubber rides nicely over my irregular floor and glue drippings.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: building a bench on wheels

I've built a number of large shop cabinets with synthetic wheel casters and I'm continually amazed at the amount of weight they support even setting in one spot for months without getting flat spots. I think I've bought most of them from Woodcraft and Lee Valley.