talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 11:04 AM

Default Maloof inspired Tea Chair out of elm

After 6 months planning and working here is Nr.1 of six Maloof inspired Tea Chairs, with all itīs mistakes.

Special Thanks to Okami and all the rest of you for all the posts on okamiīs threat.

For the drawing I used Corel and all the fotos i Found on the internet.
And after all the planning I forgot to document the progess of work.
But I will do it with the next 5 chairs for our dining table.

But first I hope you woodworkers will give me some constructive criticism, to prevent me from more mistakes!

Here the pictures of Nr1.

talkFestool - Moqui's Album: Maloof inspired Tea Chair - Picture

Merry woodworking X-mess,

Moqui

Last edited by Moqui; 12-18-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Maloof inspired Tea Chair out of elm

Nice work Moqui
I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into making one of these, and You're a better man than me, going for six in a row

I'm sorry my maloof chair thread is missing half of the photo's... I foolishly deleted them from my album, not realising they would also erase from the thread
I made another, about two years ago in hard maple. I still have that one. I gave the rest away.

Please post Your progress on the next batch Moqui, they are a great project to document
Cheers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

Moqui - wonderful work! Great shaping. It's really hard to get it just right, but I think you've done it!

It would be nice if you could post your pictures in your thread. What I do is open a window with the album pictures, and copy the html text that begins with "[img ]....[/img ]". Then past that text into your post, and the pictures will magically appear.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:58 PM

Ah, that's better, I can see them in the thread now
I've never been close to one of Maloof's chairs..I just have his book.
I'd say, on the inside area, where the arm and back leg meet, it could maybe use a little more shaping. It's a long and tricky process shaping these chairs, and I think you've done a good job!
I can post a photo of the shaping around the leg and arm of my maple chair if you want a peep, although it's probably completely different from the real deal I made it from a photo in a book
Old 12-18-2011, 01:08 PM

Hi Okami and Poto,

thanks for your replies. And especially to Poto for the advice of including the pic.

I figured out, that building a Maloof inspired chair is more work than any other projects I did. And it also came, that my wife showed the same reactions as Okamiīs wife did when he was going to work in the shop! Especially with two kids.

But I hope I will document my progress the next time. But first I have to think about the shaping and all the hard and soft lines that comes with that chair! I think thatīs realy the most important thing on that work!

Cheers Moqui.

BTW

here is the Dining Table for the Chairs

Old 12-18-2011, 01:18 PM

hi Okami,

thanks for your advice, I would appreciate a photo of your shaping because next time I will do 4 in a row!

I also gave up to make a copy because I haveīt also be close to a real maloof!

But the inspiration of his work lead me to the chair how it is.

i think there are a lot things to change and I will make a pic where I will show these changes! .....but not today!

greetz from the cold palatina!

Moqui
Old 12-18-2011, 03:54 PM

Hi Moqui

That is just beautiful - never mind that the design was Maloof's to start. You have done a wonderful job. And to do 5 more!

I have that same design planned for next year - to use at a desk. The desk gets built first. Hopefully mine comes out as well as yours.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 12-18-2011, 06:44 PM

Hi derek cohen,

thanks for your reply. At the moment I donīt know if it is against the forum to post my blueprints, but if you like I would sent them to you!

I spent a lot of time to think about about and develop them!

GoodN8

Moqui
Old 12-18-2011, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moqui View Post

... At the moment I donīt know if it is against the forum to post my blueprints, but if you like I would sent them to you!
Posting them is fine, as long as it is not prohibited by a copyright.

Old 12-18-2011, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice chair, Moqui! That table is nice, too. It looks very substantial.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959