talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 07:00 PM

Default Split Top Saw Bench

Hey Guys and Gals,
Not sure if this should go in this topic or in hand tools....but anyway, I originally made this Saw Bench for making rip cuts on narrow stock (don't have a table saw or a band saw) and it's been really stable and works great. I have added a few holdfast holes on both top surfaces. It's just made from Construction grade 2X4s and 2X6s. I had seen a few Saw Bench designs that had used an open center, but they all had cross members that needed to be worked around, and I thought....why not give this idea a try! So far, so good.
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
split-top-saw-bench-img_7382.jpg   split-top-saw-bench-img_7380.jpg   split-top-saw-bench-img_7386.jpg   split-top-saw-bench-img_7387.jpg  

Last edited by btracey1; 12-09-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-09-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Split Top Saw Bench

Great looking saw horse, Brian. I love the joinery, and your design looks really solid.

Cool-looking saw, too. I've never seen a handle like that. Beautiful!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:35 PM

Man I love stealing good ideas. This is a great design for a saw horse. I'm going to have make one of these.

Good stuff! Thanks for posting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-10-2011, 01:31 AM

Fred,

Are you watching?

I have a feeling you need this

S.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:02 AM

Where's the vac attachment for the saw??? Nice horse.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:44 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Excellent! I've cut material for the Chris Schwarz saw benches quite a while back but it was one of those things that in the back of your head you know the design is a bit lacking. You've hit on an excellent design. Did you sketch & dimension it to share?

I really like your saw also -- tell me more please.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:27 AM

Now that's the mark of a true craftsman, Brian can make Home Depot lumber look good!!
Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 AM

Thanks one and all!
Sorry but me and Sketchup don't mix...I turn to woodworking to get away from the computers.
This was strictly intended to try out an idea. As such it was entirely by the seat of my pants. I just knew that every time I tried to do a rip cut on my Schwarz/Popular Woodworking design saw Bench it felt awkward, and I was constantly hitting the legs with the saw. The bench needed to support the stock better. My first experience using Draw Bored Joints was as I was building my Roubo, the strength of those joints really impressed me. I got to thinking that if those joints were used, then two separate parallel saw surfaces could be built and draw bored to solid feet and it might be strong enough. This was constructed using the cheapest wood I could get my hands on just to try and see if it would work. It did, and I have since added some holdfast holes on the two top surfaces. So far....so good, the bench is rock solid and supports even very narrow stock and long rip cuts.
The saw in the image is a Disston D8 Vintage Thumbhole Ripsaw that I customized (desecrated) to fit my hands, then re-finished.
The only dimension of the bench that was planned was that of the height which matches the height of my Schwarz/Popular Woodworking bench which is 20" high. The overall width is 11 1/2", the length ended up being 30". The space between the two tops ended up being 1 5/8" and the feet are 17 1/2".
After milling, the stock 2Xs ended up being 1 1/4" thick.
Brian

Last edited by btracey1; 12-10-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:34 AM

Oh I forgot.....No..... Fred doesn't have one of these yet!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I like it!
Most dimensions are self apparent + dimension guidelines from the PW suggestions. The overall height just at the base of the Tibia. I'm curious about the gap you chose, it appears to be ~1-1/2". Would you make that gap again or perhaps something around 1/2"?
Do the holdfasts grab OK in the 1-1/2" top (3/4" holes)?

It looks like a very use tool even for some power tool uses.