talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 03:28 AM

Default Hard Maple Desk

This is a hard maple desk with a side wagon
Mortice and tenon joinery and some domino joinery.
The handles are my own, dovetailed into the drawer face
Drawer bottoms are rift-sawn bubinga, for a little contrast when opening
Finish is hand rubbed oil, at the request of the client

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:32 AM

Default Re: Hard Maple Desk

Very nice! Great detail on the handles and I like the contrasting colors. Contrast is always good. Love how the streaking in the bubinga picks up the maple.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:48 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Great work Okamisan! I really like those clever drawer pulls being dovetailed ino the drawer face.

I also like how the legs & bottom of the drawer faces form a graceful arc -- very, very nice!

Last edited by RONWEN; 12-06-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to tiralie

Beautiful work and very nice design.
Tim
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Okamisan, your furniture always makes me think that I should stop building my own, and just get you to do it for me. That desk is beautiful, graceful, and I'm sure it's a delight to touch. You have such thoughtful design touches - everything flows and balances. Wonderful work.

Can you post any pictures of the build? I'd love to see a bit more of the construction.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Great work Okamisan! I really like those clever drawer pulls being dovetailed ino the drawer face.

I also like how the legs & bottom of the drawer faces form a graceful arc -- very, very nice!
And the drawer fronts on the side wagon echo the curves on the desk. Nice how the tops flow too. Wonderful design and execution.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:27 PM

Very Nice design and build.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:52 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
And the drawer fronts on the side wagon echo the curves on the desk. Nice how the tops flow too. Wonderful design and execution.
I hadn't noticed that detail -- WOW!
Old 12-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Also look how the grain on the desktop continues from the desk to the side wagon. Nice work as usual, Okami!
Old 12-06-2011, 05:03 PM

Very elegant desk, Okami. The reflective curves in the top, apron, and pulls are a nice touch. I have only one question. Why the side-mount slides? Is there a height issue that precludes the use of bottom mounts, like Blum Tandems? The side mounts cover up your nice dovetails! I'm sure you have your reasons.
Cricket