talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Matinicus Island double ender.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

And actually, there are a couple more things to see/do here but I don't want to list them for fear of attracting even more tourists.
Bet ya can't match this :

Old 01-05-2012, 10:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to tiralie

Beautiful boat. I don't sail but I would love to make a boat someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Its a little hard to explain spiling without illustrations, but basically its a way of finding a true plank shape, or bulkhead or whatever. This proved easier, and ultimately faster than the spiling method.

This is the cardboard pattern I used on the latter few planks.
As I read your description I wondered if you could actually "spil" or make a pattern for each board using Sketchup. I suppose you would still need to adjust based on the actual build.

Tim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-05-2012, 10:52 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
You, Michael and the boats are about the only reason I have to go to NY I hear the food is pretty good too. I guess I'm ready after all Still love your boat.
Try the Pizza.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM

Some more progress on Mouse to report. I've been fabricating the main mast partner, that bit that supports the mast above the step. I laminated some scrap occume ply to about 1 1/8" thick for the partner. Its very strong. I built it like a gate, so I can raise and lower the mast afloat by pivoting it up from the step.

The gate is made from bronze sheet, with an oak pin, and the mast opening is leathered.

I tried to bend the strap around a wood die, but it was too stiff. Luckily, a friend down the hall has a Diacro bender, and he offered to bend it for me. Took about 15 minutes.

Here's a shot of the finished partner.

The full story is on the blog.

Cricket
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Looking good! Very neat work.

How thick is that bronze strap?
Old 02-02-2012, 08:41 PM

Thanks Michael,
1/16" or thereabouts. In the sheet, it seemed flimsy, but as strap its stiff as hell.
Cricket
Old 07-19-2013, 11:20 PM

Hi Folks,
Been a while, but I thought I would update this thread. The boat was finished and launched several months ago, but I've just now gotten all the spars and rigging done. I'm extremely pleased with the boat. Sails and balances perfectly. We put her in the freight elevator and trucked her out to Canarsie where my club is.

I've been rowing her while I got the rigging done. Friggin with the riggin, takes forever.

Continued...
Old 07-19-2013, 11:37 PM

The main mast was built solid, but all the rest of the spars are hollow, birdsmouth construction, and all from spar grade sitka spruce. Beautiful stuff. I put leather chafe guards on the spars where they lap. The rig is a cat-yawl, with balance lug fore, and bermudan mizzen (aft sail).

And there she is, or he maybe. "Mouse" The rudder is kicked up in these pics. There is a control line that pulls it down in deeper water. You can see that line in this pic. It goes up and through a fairlead on deck, then to a cleat. There is an uphaul too.
I hope to get some pictures under sail soon. I'll have to set up the Whaler and a camera crew. Thanks for looking!
Jim
Old 07-20-2013, 12:40 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Beautiful job, Jim!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-20-2013, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

What a beautifully graceful boat, Jim! Wow! Just lovely. Congratulations. You're going to get a lot of pleasure out of that boat. I hope you have some young 'uns to share it with over the years.