talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 01:53 AM

Default Shaker(?) Bench Build...

Hi Folks,

My first post, but I've been hanging around for months gathering all I can on the incredible bench builds here. There seems to be an abundance of benchers(?)

Originally inspired by the Benchcrafted Shaker bench... mine somehow took a turn toward Pirate Ship.

And since most of my inspiration came from you guys... why not share the results.

My original sketch (old school)...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 11-21-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2011, 01:55 AM

Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

For the most part all materials are left over scrap from other projects… 3/4" paint grade maple plywood, poplar for the beaded face frame, poplar door frames and MDF beadboard panels.

For the top I decided to try the LVL route. Since I already had most of what I needed... I only had to buy a little more. It'll be wrapped in maple. Benchcrafted Moxon vise for my end vise. I'm still undecided on leg vise hardware.

The carve up begins...

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:02 AM

Assembly...

Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice start! Keep us posted.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-21-2011, 03:02 AM

Laying out the face frame. I cut all the pieces to size first, then mark all the jack miter cuts for the bead. Its important the cabinet is sitting dead flat, level and square here. I've got sticks tacked on to hold the free ends of the dividers in place according to my story pole. Notice the shim under the table...

I used to do this process on the table saw for years. Now the Kreg system cuts my time in half...

~
Old 11-21-2011, 03:12 AM

One of the frames ready for a glue and screw. Notice the legs are rabbited for the end panels...

And the end panels...

Old 11-21-2011, 01:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Exciting stuff! Please keep posting lots of photos.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Very cool, Bigfoot. Thanks for taking the time to document the build.

By "wrapped in maple" for the top, do you mean the sides of the benchtop, or the top of the bench? I guess I'd worry that it could separate from the underlying LVL, or not be as strong. On the other hand, a maple top could be easier to flatten.

I'm noticing a distinct lack of Festools in your shop. Should we take up a collection for you? You know - to help out the poor, needy, and Festoolless.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Very cool, Bigfoot. Thanks for taking the time to document the build.

By "wrapped in maple" for the top, do you mean the sides of the benchtop, or the top of the bench? I guess I'd worry that it could separate from the underlying LVL, or not be as strong. On the other hand, a maple top could be easier to flatten.

I'm noticing a distinct lack of Festools in your shop. Should we take up a collection for you? You know - to help out the poor, needy, and Festoolless.
Ha ha! Yes a collection for a few Festools would be splendid! I'll take the track saw first. Follow that up with a Domino... thanks!

Oops, by wrapped I meant to say the sides and ends. The sides being glued on. One end has the Moxon attached, the other end is bolted on for expansion, or in case I want to add some other accessory at a later date.

The LVL is an experiment. From researching, I've seen this used on other benches and reviews are favorable, but I know this stuff moves quite a bit. You sand it smooth and a few hours later all those little veneers raise up and down like a cheese grater. Trick is to seal it right after you've planed and finish sand it.

Let me know when you need a shipping address.

Kerry
Old 11-21-2011, 02:36 PM

The face frames get glued on...

I wrap duct tape on the spring boards so they don't get stuck to the work during glue up.
Just some shims under them to create the spring. If I don't get squeeze out I add more shims where needed...

~