talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2011, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
nice figure in that there maple! I knew the color looked familiar....I too have quite a few Grizzly tools in my shop. Good call!
I know it's a lot of work, but maybe next time you're running some face frame stock through your Kreg system, you could take some more of those nice pictures and create a separate thread on your process. It would be great resource for TF and make for great reading.

PS This molding under the bench is a very nice detail:
No problem on documenting the Kreg process. Easy enough. It would be a fun quick project.

You know every time I look at that detail I swear I used poplar by mistake. I cut the other side out of the same piece though and it matches. Must have been a color shift in the wood. I might have to replace that one. Its starting to bother me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2011, 12:08 PM

you're thinking too much. It looks fine!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:20 PM

Well my rosewood plane knobs from Lee Valley showed up. I had already purchased what hardware I thought I might need to fasten them to the vise handle. But... I wasn't expecting them to have threaded studs epoxied into them. Turns out this situation was easier and cleaner looking than having a through bolt.

Again, I stole this idea. I saw it on Lie-Neilson's vise handles.

Lucky me, the threads on the studs are 1/4-20. Got out a #7 drill bit, then a 1/4-20 tap, rubber O-ring, enlarged a fender washer hole to 1/4" and screwed the knob on. Easy peasy. This looks nautical to me and keeping with the theme... whatever that is.

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-11-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:27 PM

Also installed the suede to the Moxon and the leg vise...

Couple last parting shots before it all gets messy and beat up...

~
Old 12-10-2011, 01:40 AM
Super Moderator

Bigfoot, that is just wonderfully gorgeous! Great photography, too. The knobs look perfect on the shaft, and I agree - a bit nautical. Do you say "Arrrr" every time you enter the shop?

You're going to build some beautiful pieces on that bench - it'll make you want to make everything just as nice.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
...Do you say "Arrrr" every time you enter the shop?
I do...
Old 12-10-2011, 01:18 PM

really beautiful bigfoot! It's more akin to fine furniture than a workbench. Would make an awesome kitchen island! I'll be curious to see what you store in the cabinets. Post some pictures down the road when you get there.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Bigfoot, your craftsmanship is truly impressive (photography ain't bad either ).

This has been a very enjoyable thread, thank you!

Old 12-10-2011, 06:00 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I can't wait to see what you may do next...

Where did you buy the suede for the Moxon vise pads?
Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
I can't wait to see what you may do next...

Where did you buy the suede for the Moxon vise pads?
Bigfoot,

I also cannot wait to see what else you do as your bench is really fantastic. Thank you very much for the pictures and details of your build.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31