talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 02:16 AM

Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

Work begins on "the contraption"

Sacrificial rubber wheels from Walmart. $1.99 each...

Mayhem...

New mounts for the rubber wheels...

Make note of the outline on the block...

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2011, 02:44 AM

Upper wheel block has some adjustment slots for up and down...

Remember that outline on the lower wheel block? Thats where the hinge plate goes...

Adapt and overcome!

I was thinking of rounding the edges of the chop, like I did on the Sliding deadman. Kind of like it as is though. Its not overly substantial to begin with. Taking more material off might diminish it even more...

It works incredible well. It turns with absolutely no resistance or drag.

I put some sealer on it today. It looks much better already. I have a special treatment coming for the tommy bar. I'll throw a few more pics up when its all finish.

Thanks for looking!

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-05-2011 at 02:47 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Again more craftsmanship beauty!
Old 12-05-2011, 11:58 AM

Bigfoot, Your bench is absolutely fantastic! The cabinetry is first rate. Even choice of paint color is spot on. Great documentation as well. I agree, and even though I have a Domino, pocket screws are the way to go for the face frames. Love the beading detail. Would love to hear more on the Kreg system.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:59 PM

Nice leg vise, Bigfoot! You saved a ___load of $ building it yourself. Its about time for you get to work on some furniture!
Cricket
Old 12-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

That's a really nice solution to your hinge problem, Bigfoot. Very ingenious. I love the quality of your work, and I'm blown away by how quickly it all came together. Nice job!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Again more craftsmanship beauty!
Thanks Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
Bigfoot, Your bench is absolutely fantastic! The cabinetry is first rate. Even choice of paint color is spot on. Great documentation as well. I agree, and even though I have a Domino, pocket screws are the way to go for the face frames. Love the beading detail. Would love to hear more on the Kreg system.
Jim... so is yours! Haha. Believe me, I poured over every inch of your build and enjoyed the process/progress as well.

I was thinking of going for a sage green, or muted red, or even white for the color. However, I already have a rainbow of colors going on in here and figured rather than introduce yet another color, I'll tie things together by matching the putty color on the few Grizzly machines I have. They did an okay color match for the waterborne lacquer... close enough as they say. As it turns out, the vise screw is green which goes with (sort of) the other Grizzly color. Only problem now is, I want to paint my router tables the putty color now.

I couldn't for the life of me follow Kreg's instructions, so I created my own reality distortion field and made the notching bit and bead bit work my way. I basically just made witness marks on the router table where the "in and outs" of the notch will be. I use a notching bit that is slightly smaller in width than it should be. This way I can slide left or right to my marked pieces (I say slide, I mean move. When notching... the pieces are always clamped to the fence then plunged through). They use the exact size notch for the exact size stile or rail. Too much room for error I found. Not to mention the ever changing tedious setups. Adjustments are dependent of precise bit height. They make the notch first, then bead the material. I bead the stock first, then notch. For large notches like where the bead stops but the legs continue to the floor, I make a notch for the bottom rail and rip the excess bead off with the table saw.

Their sliding fence system works well. Its a little lightly built, but it works just fine. Again, I did this for years the long way with the table saw, chop saw and chisel. I slotted the pieces then glued and biscuit each piece to the cabinet one piece at a time. Making the face frames and screwing them all up at once with pocket screws is a dream now. Beats the price they want for these machines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Nice leg vise, Bigfoot! You saved a ___load of $ building it yourself. Its about time for you get to work on some furniture!
Cricket
Ha! I was thinking a vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That's a really nice solution to your hinge problem, Bigfoot. Very ingenious. I love the quality of your work, and I'm blown away by how quickly it all came together. Nice job!
Thanks Pete.

Kerry

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-06-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:38 PM

I love how this stuff shows up when you put a finish on it...

~
Old 12-05-2011, 11:09 PM

nice figure in that there maple! I knew the color looked familiar....I too have quite a few Grizzly tools in my shop. Good call!
I know it's a lot of work, but maybe next time you're running some face frame stock through your Kreg system, you could take some more of those nice pictures and create a separate thread on your process. It would be great resource for TF and make for great reading.

PS This molding under the bench is a very nice detail:

Last edited by JimKirkpatrick; 12-05-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 01:02 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
Upper wheel block has some adjustment slots for up and down...

Thanks for looking!
~
Your attention to details is absolutely incredible!