talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

Got back to the bench today for a few hours...

My 3/4" spiral bit showed up in the mail a few days ago, so I took on the task of drilling out some Dog Holes. Its only HSS, so I had my doubts. After what the LVL did to my carbide bit I thought this bit would go up in smoke after the first hole... let alone make it to the finish line. Either way, the bit was only $14.95. Worst case scenario I'd have to monkey up some contraption for my mini drill press and a forstner bit, which was my original plan, but this router plan seemed easier.

Cobbled up a jig to clamp to the edge of the bench...

Hmmm, moving right along...

And... toast!

I did make it to the finish line though... barely!

Now the laminate trimmer with an 1/8" round over bit...

Neat as a pin...

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:02 AM

While I was at it, I glued up some maple for the sliding Jack stand and rail. After dinner I went out to the shop to cleanup, but got started milling these things up instead.

Look, no hands! It mated up so well you couldn't move it. I'm guessing when things are in place some wax will be in order...

I took a cue from the Benchcrafted Shaker bench and put a Lamb's tongue on both ends of the rail...

I am diggin' my Moxon...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 11-30-2011 at 03:41 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-30-2011, 06:42 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

More great work! I imagine the spiral bit made a big difference although you'd of thought the straight carbide would have done the long groove.

Last edited by RONWEN; 11-30-2011 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
More great work! I imagine the spiral bit made a big difference although you'd of thought the straight carbide would have done the long groove.
Ron, the bit started to slow down around hole number twelve. By the time I hit number twenty things were getting downright smokey in the shop. You can see the blades on the spiral bit just cooked and rounded over.

I knew it would be sacrificed. Boils down to .74 a hole.

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-01-2011 at 03:00 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:28 AM

Finished up the sliding Jack stand today. Works (slides) surprisingly well. Just stick your finger in a hole, pull up and slide. When you lift up and rub it against the underside of the top it moves nicely. If you let off the upward pressure as you slide... it will bind.

I configured mine to slide on and off the track from the right side, so I didn't have to create a deep rabbit on top to lift it up and off.

I used cherry for the spacers behind the rail. Thought it accented the cherry knobs nicely. The maple I used has a lot of captured bark running through it. It should really pop out when I get a finish on it...

Onto the leg vise hopefully tomorrow. I've been running different ways to do this through my head over the last few days. Its going to be challenging given the limited space I allowed myself... it was an afterthought.

So because of the size limit I'm going with your basic thirty-six dollar tommy bar, screw arrangement from Lee Valley. The chop will only be 4 3/4" wide. It won't go all the way to the floor either. I've got some ideas for a leg vise mini... if you will.

This bench has given me some ideas on a lightweight leg vise...

~
Attached Thumbnails
shaker-bench-build-small-shaker-bench.jpg  
Old 12-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Nice detail, the lamb's tongue. That works well on square columns too, to transition a chamfer to the square base. I bet you've cut hundreds of those in your time. Looking real nice!

Have you seen this leg vise?

Cricket
Old 12-01-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Nice detail, the lamb's tongue. That works well on square columns too, to transition a chamfer to the square base. I bet you've cut hundreds of those in your time. Looking real nice!

Cricket
I have. I downloaded the installation pdf and ruled it out. I didn't think I could pull it off with what I had to work with. Very slick vise though!

I'm working on something now. Just waiting on some glue ups during lunch. I think I've got all the details hammered out. I'll post the progress.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:33 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post

Cricket
Joraft and I played with his vises at WIA. His has come up with several variations using his mechanism -- VERY slick indeed!
Old 12-05-2011, 01:52 AM

Progress was made on the leg vise this weekend.

Lee Valley screw, chop template, backplate, spacer block...

Since the spacer block between the bench and chop is just acting as a backstop I figured there is no reason to have it solid. So I built it up to save a bit on maple... which I'm quickly running low on.

Spacer block in place...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 12-05-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:04 AM

Rounding over the chop...

Gluing on the parallel bar...

"Fini"

~