talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

Aye! That's a sparkler! Now, I need to get off me arse & build me one. Aaargh!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2011, 12:02 AM

Looks beautiful.

Drawers or shelves (or just open)? A common question. The compartment looks kind of deep for shelves or keeping open. It's 24" deep isn't it?

I'm going to throw this idea out there for your thought but I'm not sure how I would implement without destroying the beauty you have. The objective for drawers is to keep the sawdust and debris out. So what if the opening was closed off with plastic strips like you see for walk-in freezers? Don't use plastic though, how about an old sheet dressed up to look like a sail.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-23-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Aye! That's a sparkler! Now, I need to get off me arse & build me one. Aaargh!
Ha! My daughter said the same thing... Aaaargh! Course she is a Parrot Head.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
Looks beautiful.

Drawers or shelves (or just open)? A common question. The compartment looks kind of deep for shelves or keeping open. It's 24" deep isn't it?

I'm going to throw this idea out there for your thought but I'm not sure how I would implement without destroying the beauty you have. The objective for drawers is to keep the sawdust and debris out. So what if the opening was closed off with plastic strips like you see for walk-in freezers? Don't use plastic though, how about an old sheet dressed up to look like a sail.
Its actually 16" deep. I think I'm going to live with one shelf there for now and see how things work. I hear you on the dust, which was my thinking with the drawers. However, its unavoidable... it gets everywhere. A quick blast with the air gun will clean that cubby right out.

On the other hand, a good winter project would be to put that Moxon to use and slap some dovetailed boxes together.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

How 'bout a roll-top (roll-up in this case) cover?
Old 11-23-2011, 11:07 PM

Hi Bigfoot,
Nice bench project there, and nice shop too. I seriously need to build a real bench myself, but can never seem to find the time! A bench is nearly as bad as a boat for eating up the hours. One day...
Cricket
Old 11-24-2011, 05:58 PM

It took retiring from construction to find time for my bench. Personally, I'd go for the boat first.

A tambour top?.. Hmmmm. I'm going to go with my open shelf ideas first I think.

~
Old 11-24-2011, 06:29 PM

Rounded over the ends of the Moxon's chop this morning.

I love the retro look of the label on the box the hardware comes in. I couldn't bring myself to slice through the label so I had to carefully peel it back...

~
Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Great work Bigfoot and a wonderful workshop you have there!
Old 11-25-2011, 02:10 AM

That's a great bench!! And made using stock you already had
I'd like to make a new bench, but like Mr Cricket, I can never find the time or space to take it on as a side project