talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2011, 02:01 PM

Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

I had to get creative with what I had in LVL material... without having to buy more. More importantly, keeping the top manageable... it weighs a ton!

The middle section is 1 3/4" and the two side rails are 3". The waste cutoffs I used for cross support which I centered over the cabinet dividers and screwed on, rather than glue cross grain.

Here I'm getting reading to glue the side rails to the center section...

Again I got extremely lucky that the edges were square and everything stayed flat. Here the maple sides are being glued on...

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Those are some nice old-school clamps, Bigfoot. And I love your shop. Very spacious. Do you build cabinets for a business? You seem remarkably efficient at it.

Do you have any worries about the screws in your benchtop? I'd be worried that you might bump into them some day in flattening your top, or putting a dog hole in or something.

Nice work. Are you moving the top by yourself? I don't think I could come close to lifting it!
Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM

Okay whats next? Ah, fitting doors. The devil is in the details. When I make doors, I measure the opening and build them to that size. When fitting, the first thing I trim is the top and bottom clean and square. I tape two washers to the bottom of the cabinet opening for my bottom reveal. Then I determine how much has to come off to make the top have the same reveal. If I have to adjust squareness I put a small shim between the door and the saw's fence.

These cuts I make on my old Unisaw with the Jessem Mast-R-Slide. From my assembly table I literally just swing around 180 and cut. Everything is one step away.

Then I wedge the doors in place to eyeball the side reveals. These adjustments I usually make on the jointer because I can make subtle adjustments for squareness...

Doors all hinged up and in place. I don't get crazy fully adjusting them here because they are all coming off again for paint. I adjust them just enough to know I don't have to trim them anymore.

You can see my waterproof Azek foot pads in this pic too.

Are you starting to see the Pirate Ship?

My plan was to have four drawers on the business side of the bench, so I cut and fit the four drawer faces while I was at it, so everything would be ready for paint. Now I'm not sure I want the drawers.

My thinking is this would be a good place for my cordless drills and drivers to live on shelves, as this is where they are positioned now. The other thing to consider is the sliding deadman. I can see having to slide it one way or the other to gain access to the drawers. Where as an open space would allow me to reach around it. Hmmm... more thought required I guess.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Those are some nice old-school clamps, Bigfoot. And I love your shop. Very spacious. Do you build cabinets for a business? You seem remarkably efficient at it.

Do you have any worries about the screws in your benchtop? I'd be worried that you might bump into them some day in flattening your top, or putting a dog hole in or something.

Nice work. Are you moving the top by yourself? I don't think I could come close to lifting it!
Ha, yes. Thirty five years... builder, contractor, cabinet maker. I'm pretty much done though. My body is shot. Arthritis in my neck, back, knees. Three compression fractures in my back. So, this is my muse.

I'm very limited these days. It looks like I'm cranking this out, and in the old days I would have, but this project is going on a couple months so far. Yeah, a lot of the time I have to wait for an extra pair of hands to move things about. But in thirty five years you learn a lot about wheels and leverage.

I'm not worried about the screws (famous last words), I have yet to bore the holes for the bench dogs. They will be going in the side rails where there aren't any screws. But you can be sure if I want a hole out in the middle somewhere, I'll find a screw!

Last edited by bigfoot; 02-02-2012 at 05:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:45 PM

Routing out the dado for the sliding deadman...

THIS is why I wear a leather apron when routing. This was a brand new Freud 3/4" straight bit. I had only made one pass on this dado about an 1/8" deep. On my second pass, about another 1/8" deeper, I got about halfway through when it sounded like I hit a nail or screw. I remember instantly calculating that nothing should be there and perhaps a piece of metal got into there from manufacturing of the LVL. When I looked I saw what looked like a cut nail sheered off. On closer inspection it was pieces of the router bit. Something in the combination of maple against LVL veneers and glue the bit didn't like. It just ripped the carbide off the end of the bit. Or perhaps it what just a lemon from Freud. Anyway, refit with a new Wood River bit and smooth sailing...

Old 11-22-2011, 03:58 PM

Getting ready for moving day. Cabinet painted, cleats added for fastening the top.

One coat sanding sealer, two coats satin poly. I don't think an oil finish would be a good option on LVL. Its too splintery. You really need a good hard sealer with buildup. Anyway, nice little bit of tiger stripe showed up...

Waiting for extra bodies to make the transfer...

~

Last edited by bigfoot; 11-23-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:24 PM

Moxon

I could not find any usable 8/4 maple locally so I glued some up for the Moxon parts. Then resawed to get to the required 1 3/4"...

Okay, I took Jameel's challenge and mortised around the nut rather than make a square hole...

Elongating the 3/4" hole for the movable chop...

~
Old 11-22-2011, 08:35 PM

Adding the maple end cap. I bolted this on with some nice chubby Spax screws (not the one on the bench). This way I can always remove it if I want to add some other vise or whatever...

End cap installed, doors, and cherry knobs. The Elephant feet are painted and installed...

~
Old 11-22-2011, 08:43 PM

Back to Moxon

Screws installed and the back plate/chop bolted on with those chubby Spax screws...

I couldn't leave well enough alone. I added another little detail to add to the Pirate Ship theme...

~
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM

Well folks,

This is as far as we've come...

Finished dimensions: Bench top = 36" wide, 7'6" long, 2 1/2" overhangs on sides and end, 37" floor to bench top.

What's left:

Dog holes
A decision on drawers or not
Leg vise
Sliding deadman
Another sanding and top coat
Oil up the outsides of the Moxon and apply the suede.

I think I've looked at most options for the leg vise. The Benchcrafted would be my first pick. However, I think it might be too big (out of scale?) for this application. I only have a 5 1/2" leg on the corner, so the chop would be a narrow, straight affair much like the one he has on his Shaker bench.

I was leaning heavily toward the Lake Erie wood screw just for the plain woodiness of the whole thing. It would go very well with my Pirate theme.
But again, I'm worried about scale, not actually being able to see these things first. The brass garter width is my bigger worry. Looks to be around almost 5 1/2"...?

I considered the Hovarter but I think the install would be tough. The leg is already enclosed.

Then there is the simple metal screw from Lie-Neilson... where I'm leaning now.

Of course, I decided I wanted a leg vise well after I started the project. In hindsight, I probably would have made the corner posts a bit more substantial.

In the mean time, here are a few glam shots...

~