talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 02:47 PM

Default Re: Shaker(?) Bench Build...

Face frames done, now for the end panels...

The end panels fit into the rabbit on the face frames. I leave a little bit of the rabbit proud for a flush fit later...

End panel glue up complete...

Looks like a nice place for Leg Vise hardware, no...?

~
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Bigfoot, you're also clearly in need of some Bowclamps. Haven't you been paying attention?!?

I was thinking the same thing about your first Festools: the TS55 and Domino. Stop using those pesky pocket screws. You'll also want a CT36. I believe I've collected a total of ... let's see ... seventy-three cents and some pocket lint for your Festools. Hope you're not in a rush.

The bench base looks great! Are you going to paint it? Flames?
Old 11-21-2011, 07:46 PM

Poto, taken in the spirit.

The pocket screws save a ton of time though. And really all they have to do is hold things together until the frame is glued to the box. I used to have a dispassion for them myself until I tried them. Its been several years using them and no real complaints. This is how I used to join my face frames. And those cuts were done on the table saw. The notch was done with a chisel...

Last edited by bigfoot; 11-21-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-21-2011, 08:04 PM

This was kind of an after thought. I was just going to let the bench sit on the shop floor. Then I remembered my wife puts her car in here in the winter. Because its heated, all that slush and ice build up under the wheel wells melts off and puddles all over the place. So I had the idea to make a waterproof decorative pad for the bench to sit on. Looking around the shop Azek seemed to fit the bill. I'm just gluing up a larger footprint for things to rest on here. All the weight is still on the outside legs of the corner post. From this pic you can also see I doubled up the bottom rail. This is mostly to have a more substantial attachment for the sliding deadman...

~
Old 11-21-2011, 08:13 PM

Miscellaneous tasks. Edge banding the shelves. I glue up whatever scrap is laying around. After the glue dries, I rip the edge down to 3/16". Easier to sand flush afterward...

~
Old 11-21-2011, 08:29 PM

Curly things. I love boat interiors. The contrast of wood and white paint. So rather than the usual kitchen cabinet cove detail on the legs, somehow boat interiors crept into the works.

I laminated poplar onto 1/2" ply for strength and to discourage checking. These get slotted and glued on by way of biscuits. I screw them to a piece of plywood for slotting...

~
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM

I have more sorting and uploading of pics to do.

One more for now. Doors...

~
Old 11-22-2011, 01:13 PM

Shoes & socks are all on. I also sealed the bottom up with two coats of clear. I knew once this was placed on the dolly's for paint I wouldn't be able to flip this over to paint the bottom. My back is absolutely shot, so I have to wait for my daughter or wife to be around to help move the bigger items in the shop. If they're both home I'll send one of them a text from the shop saying I need a mule. A few minutes later one of them comes out. They're good girls.

~
Old 11-22-2011, 01:40 PM

The glue up on the LVL begins. This was a rather tedious process. You have to wear gloves working with this stuff in the rough. Just looking at it will give you splinters. Lots of ripping, jointing, thicknessing and being vigilant that things stay square. I also had to keep the glue-ups in workable sizes for me to move around, as well as send through the little DeWalt 13" planer.

I thought this might be the project that finally kills that thing. But it took everything I pushed through it. The two middle sections of the top were just under the maximum width.

Gluing the two center sections together. I have spacer boards under the pieces here to support them and keep the top from getting glued to my assembly table. Shockingly the two mated up perfectly from just the rip cut on the saw. These were too big to push through my little 6" jointer if I had to square them up...

Dead flat...

~
Old 11-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Awesome, thanks for posting