talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Nara Low table

Hey Okami,
Beautiful table! How does this Japanese oak compare with western species? It looks quite similar. Very elegant and simple base. Quite a nice piece.
Cricket
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKirkpatrick View Post
Nice job! How do you clamp up the table top while the glue sets up without destroying that nice natural edge?
Hey Jim!
What I do is, leave the edges rough and make simple clamping blocks to the angle of the edge. I just use some off-cut bits laying around, and cut them on the bandsaw.
After the glue-up I take it outside (messy job next), and use an angle grinder with 36grit paper to clean the dirty edges. After that, my little Metabo sander takes over to smooth the edge.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-19-2011, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket View Post
Hey Okami,
Beautiful table! How does this Japanese oak compare with western species? It looks quite similar. Very elegant and simple base. Quite a nice piece.
Cricket
Thanks cricket!

Ive found Nara to be a little softer and nicer to work than the western species. It's pretty nice stuff to use
Old 11-19-2011, 01:55 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Hey Jim!
What I do is, leave the edges rough and make simple clamping blocks to the angle of the edge. I just use some off-cut bits laying around, and cut them on the bandsaw.
After the glue-up I take it outside (messy job next), and use an angle grinder with 36grit paper to clean the dirty edges. After that, my little Metabo sander takes over to smooth the edge.
So apparently the clamping blocks you make are both mitered and beveled as required?
Old 11-20-2011, 03:55 AM

Could we get a pic of the bottom, I'd like to see how you made and attached legs. As long as it's not patented procedure and system
Old 11-21-2011, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
So apparently the clamping blocks you make are both mitered and beveled as required?
Hi Ron!
I'm not sure I understand what you mean?
I just cut out some rough blocks on the bandsaw, and let my York Clamping jigs do the rest.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkTom View Post
Could we get a pic of the bottom, I'd like to see how you made and attached legs. As long as it's not patented procedure and system
I'll try to sort out a picture for you Tom but for now, I can tell you the leg bases are joined via a central rail at the top. The top is then held in place with the use of wooden buttons, to allow for and seasonal movement, should there be any.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:19 AM

I had my clamping jig laying on the table, so thought I'd post an example of how I do the clamping blocks

It's good to clamp in an area that's not too crazy
I mark it with chalk

I then use one of these things to get the shape/angle

I then mark it out on some scrap. The scrap should be a little thinner than the wood, so as not to obstruct the clamping jig

Cut it on the bandsaw, it doesn't have to be perfect

Let the clamping jig do the rest. If the block wants to slip up, it finds itself up against the top of the clamping jig, which helps.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:45 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

That answers my question, thanks.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

That's pretty cool, Okamisan. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Now, where can I find some live-edge boards...