talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 02:07 AM

Default My Benchcrafted Roubo Bench Journey

This won't be nearly as long as Jim Kirkpatrick's since he pioneered all the construction details some time ago.

This time a year ago I was just thinking of putting in a shop in our backyard. I wanted a space free from all the other garage stuff that I could make whatever in without worry of dust and domestic dissatisfaction. I had only a vague idea of what I was going to do. Maybe put in a Shopsmith (go ahead, laugh, it's funny) because I didn't want to invest the moon in a large building and wasn't sure I was going to do that much with it. I was 58 and not sure what energy I would have to bring to it.

I had my first taste of real woodworking while in college because they had an awesome shop open to students. I made a set of library steps for a friend out of cherry with oak treads and dovetailed the treads into angled sides. Then I took a year off from school and worked with a carpenter full time for a year. Then I went back, got my degree, and have done diddly squat with woodworking until this past year. I made some kits from the bartley collection and shaker workshops, but that was it.

Here is my shop, completed in late March this year.

Once I had the shop built, I began to take a serious interest in what I could do with it -a little bassackwards but this is how it evolved. It occurred to me that I needed a first class workbench in order to do anything I wanted to do. I had no history of with hand planes, had done a little chisel work on dovetails a long time ago. Like I say, no real clear idea where it was going so I started surfing the net for workbench ideas. I came across http://www.workbenchdesign.net/ and found a list of books to order form the library, one of which is the classic one by Chris Schwarz featuring the Roubo. Everything he said made perfect sense, So I started searching on 'roubo bench' and found this site with Jim K's fabulous build story. I wanted to amke that bench really bad, but I had nothing but a few cheap power tools a la home depot and some equally poor hand and layout tools and no bench to build the bench on. I searched locally for someone who might be selling an old but serviceable bench but found nothing. So for most of April and May I just foundered between my passion for doing this roubo (but fear of getting in way over my head with no one to help that lived here) and just buying a nice factory bench like the high end Sjoberg. I saw that Lie-Nielsen sold a Roubo for $3,500, but it wasn't the as good as the bench-crafted version.

So I researched what tools I would need to build this and got quickly overwhelmed between my shop size limitation, what I wanted to afford and what I would need. I still had no idea how I was going to build a quality bench using just a pair of sawhorses. After a lot of consideration and web searching, i settled on a 19" band saw, a drill press, and a portable thickness planer. And, O yah, since discoverin Jim's thread here I studied up on Festool. The cost of Festool scared me a bit, but I had seen so many posts with nothing but praise for them and I was sick of crappy tools from the box store. I knew Jim had used his table saw a lot to make his bench, but I felt pretty certain that the TS-55 with the MFT/3 would do most of that and a table saw would have gobbled up half of my available shop real estate. Here are a few shots of my early shop after major tool purchases.
Attached Thumbnails
my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-telluride-plus-sarawak-bursch.jpg  

Last edited by dbursch; 11-04-2011 at 02:28 AM. Reason: Wanted to add more
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:29 AM

Default Shop Photos

Sorry, just learning how to work this site
Attached Thumbnails
my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0228.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0229.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-2011, 02:38 AM

Default How I solved my bench problem

This photo shows a plywood frame I had made for all the sheet work in skinning the inside of my new shop. Saw it recommended and explained in a youtube video. Made sense for sheet work. But then I realized that all I would have to do was clamp the thing to the center pole in my garage to make it sturdy for planing. It already had the size I needed to work with the large boards required by the Roubo.

The other bonus was it offered a great number of clamping options for the MFS!
Attached Thumbnails
my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0239.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0192.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:45 AM

Default Festools purchased for the project

TS-55, MFT/3, MFS 400, Dominoe (for all the top laminate and leg glue-ups), OF 1400 Router, Rotex 90 sander, CTX26 dust Collector, Boom Arm.

I was in heaven, my wife was in shock. I don't know how I could have approached the accuracy needed for the 17 mortise and tenon joints and flush fits without Festool. Great, great stuff.

Then I went shopping at Lie-Nielsen, Lee Valley . . . I was learning where all the good stuff was.
Attached Thumbnails
my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0236.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:47 AM

Default Blended woodworking

I was thrilled to use a shoulder plane and a float for the first time!
Attached Thumbnails
my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0203.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-img_0205.jpg  
Old 11-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: My Benchcrafted Roubo Bench Journey

It looks like you have a great start on your shop! We'll look forward to pictures of your progress on the Roubo!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-04-2011, 02:54 AM

Default My Bench

A few glam shots of the finished project. I used Ash for the base, CHerry for all the workholding areas, and hard maple for the top. Then, inspired by Jim again, I hired a friend who did CNC work to personalize the bench across two bottom leg stretchers.
Attached Thumbnails
my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-db_bcroubo_2.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-db_bcroubo_4.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-db_bcroubo_5.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-db_bcroubo_7.jpg   my-benchcrafted-roubo-bench-journey-db_bcroubo_8.jpg  

Old 11-04-2011, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Wow, Donald!! That was fast! Great work on those super dovetails on the tail vise!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-04-2011, 03:49 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Fantastic job and super fast too!

I'm curious from start to finish how long did it take you to build your workshop building?
Old 11-04-2011, 03:53 AM

Welcome Donald! Great looking bench. You have some excellent craftsmanship.

What was the total time to build it?

Neil