talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 05:07 AM

Default Re: My Benchcrafted Roubo Bench Journey

Thanks, guys. It only appears to be done fast because I waited until I finished it today to start the post. I started the work in July and just finished today. I put in at least 30 hours week (I'm Guessing). I'm very inexperienced so I kind of agonized over every step taking my time.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:16 AM

Default Shop Build Time

Sorry, Ronwen, I didn't answer your question. I had help with the framing and roof and concrete foundation from a contractor. That started in late February and I did the exterior siding, trim and interior myself finishing late March.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-04-2011, 10:10 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: Shop Build Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbursch View Post
Sorry, Ronwen, I didn't answer your question. I had help with the framing and roof and concrete foundation from a contractor. That started in late February and I did the exterior siding, trim and interior myself finishing late March.
You are going to have a very nice workshop that will give you years of pleasure!
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM

Don, You did an awesome job ...on both your bench and your shop! And look at you not wasting any time building a bench after you finished your shop. Only took me 15 years! Your wife will not be complaining about $$ once she sees the finished goods coming out of that shop.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:39 PM

Wow thats a fine bench
What's next on the list?
Old 11-04-2011, 04:21 PM

Thanks, Jim. I'm making up for lost time. Only recently did I get the time and means to make this move.

I forgot to mention a huge debt of gratitude to both Jim and Jameel Abraham for answering all my pestery questions along the way. The BC plans were great but there is a lot to figure out in between the lines. Jim's build thread was the inspiration I needed to do this right in spite of my lack of confidence.

Jameel's Benchcrafted company is an inspiration, too. Superb taste and an obvious dedication to nothing but the best way to do things. I'm already staring at that Moxon vise. But I need to organize the whole shop now to make the most of the space. First thing: put up some shaker peg boards to hang things off the floor. Also figure it will be a natural place to park the big planes and other hangeable hand tools that I want to look at.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM

Don, my pleasure. Always happy to help if only with my own meandering experience.
You should think about mounting some slatwall on your shop walls. Keep your eyes open for closing retail stores in your area. You can get 4 x 8' sheets for 5 or 10 bucks per, if not for free. And there's a myriad of hooks and shelves to choose from.
Your next project should be a tool chest and cabinet.
The new FineWoodworking "Tools and Shops" issue ( 2011-2012 )has a nice cabinet on the cover. It looks elegant and complicated but is made with basic joinery techniques and cherry plywood.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:22 PM

Thanks for the tip and the link