talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM

Default Zebrano Cabinet

It seemed like there was some interest in this zebra wood project, so here goes. I designed this piece for a client that I've previously done a lot of work for. We've been working in her Harlem residence fairly steady since 2004. The walnut and steel fireplace in my projects album is for the same client.

This was the original rendering for the piece. Its a very simple piece, with concave doors, a nickel plated steel base, and glass shelves inside a blood red interior.

I had Roman down the hall slice the veneer for me.

Ashok is stitching the poplar cross banding with a hand held stitcher. I borrowed this one for this project, and it beats the hell out of tape. You can just see the zig zag glue line under Ashok's elbow. I need to buy one of these myself.

The doors are vacuum bagged on a form, with Italian polar ply cores, and previously cross banded veneer. I think we did this in two runs. First the cores, then the faces. We glued up a double sized door panel, then split it on the saw. The bevels are tricky on the edges.

We had to make a little sled to facilitate accurate sizing of the doors. You can see the saw tilted to the proper bevel.

The case interior parts were pre-finished before glue up with many many coats of tinted shellac (hand applied) over red aniline dyed poplar, then top coated with Epifanes satin "rubbed effect" varnish.

The doors are hinged with brass Brusso pivots, nickel plated along with the
base. It cost about the same to plate them, as stainless steel pivots cost. The only downside to the plating was that we had to re-tune the pivot fit because they were too tight! I'd have been better off with the stainless, except I wanted the finishes to match.

Here is a crappy shot of the case on the base. The base is solid steel, 1" thick. Its hefty!

I will carve some special pulls for the unit, which will become the focal point of the whole piece, then take the doors off and finish the whole outside. I need to do this soon!
Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Zebrano Cabinet

That's a really wonderful piece, Jim. I love the design, and the use of dyes in the interior. It must have been really fun to work on. Sounds like you have great clients!
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Sweet! Great design and execution. I second Poto's comment about having good clients.
Matt
Old 10-19-2011, 12:58 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Very cool design! Reminds me of Donald Judd.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great cabinet, Jim!!! The veneering looks flawless.

@Michael, I recall seeing that piece at the Whitney(?); could it be 40 years ago?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM

Certainly could have seen it at the Whitney 40 years ago.

"The Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, organized the first retrospective of his work in 1968."
Old 10-19-2011, 08:27 PM

Superb piece Jim, both in the design and in the craftsmanship.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrol View Post
Sweet! Great design and execution. I second Poto's comment about having good clients.
Matt
Jim,

That is really beautiful and I can't wait to see the pulls that you design and attach.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 10-20-2011, 06:25 PM

Jim, how did you make this rendering? It's superb.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:09 PM

Thanks everyone for the nice words. This piece has been languishing in the shop while we knocked out two kitchens, a bathroom, and a sapele credenza. I'm close, but need to do the pulls, and work out some sort of mag catches, probably rare earth mags set into a little carved block inside the case. The pulls will be simple shapes, either concave in section like the doors, or slightly convex (opposite the door curve). I just have to mock up a couple.

The rendering is done in Vector Works. This drawing was in an old version, from OS 8.5 days, if you can imagine. I recently upgraded to VW2009, which is way nicer. This drawing is not even rendered. I just used screen shots of wood grain and Chinese lacquer, imported from photoshop and resized in VW. I go to Certainly Wood's website, and do a screen shot of the veneer flitch I'm buying, or any other veneer for that matter. I don't have it on this computer, but I'll upload a couple more drawings done this way when I'm back in the shop.

I use VW to do all the shop drawings, which is what it is best at, but I also do a lot of boat drawings too. The curves work pretty well. Its all simple 2D though, no surface modeling. I primarily use it to do boat portraits, and to work out sail plans, or to design rudders and centerboard trunks etc. It is not the right program for modeling hull surfaces or doing calculations, etc.

Here's an example of a skiff sail plan. Cricket's alternate rig that I never got around to building. I love Vector Works, and highly recommend it. Its pretty easy to use, and to teach yourself to use.

Didn't mean to write a book,
Jim