talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 06:48 PM

Default Bubinga Kitchen

Hi folks,
I uploaded some progress pics to an album talkFestool - Cricket's Album: Bubinga Kitchen and Living Room
Unfortunately, the file size must be too large, because they loaded up small. I can't remember where I saw what the file size limits were. I think my files are all less than 100k, and no more than 850 pixels in either direction. Anyway, I'll see if I can post one here from my own url. If it works, I'll post some more.

Ashok finishing a small cabinet. The client wanted to eliminate the natural red color of the bubinga. You can see the stain color on the turntable that we used to kill the red. It brings out the browns and golds.

This is typical of existing conditions in most buildings here in New York. The walls common to the hallways are gyp block, and these interior walls (in the picture) are framed with heavy gauge steel channel, only 1/2" wide. A small target for fasteners!. We used the existing wood blocking, but refastened them to the steel channel. We also added ply pads togglered into the plaster, and glued with PL.

Some of the cases are installed. All of the interiors are maple, as are the drawers and pullouts. We job out the dovetailed drawers to another shop. I couldn't make a plywood box for what I pay for lacquered drawers, notched and bored for Blum Tandems.

Here's a rack of parts, ready for finishing.

Here's a close up of a small case, mitered together.

And a close up of a rack of finished doors.

I still have to build four glass stile/rail doors for the job, and install all the doors, toe kicks and fillers. Then its on to the living room. Bubinga paneling, credenza, and white laquered TV panel.

More later...
Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-17-2011, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bubinga Kitchen

This is great, Jim! Thanks so much for sharing.

Are you doing all the veneering? What's the substrate for the doors and cabinets?

It's going to be a seriously cool kitchen!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:39 PM

I'm only doing a small portion of the veneering. When we were looking for a suitable material for the client, Scott Roberts, at Robert's Plywood on L.I. suggested we look at this bubinga he had. There were 12 sheets total, and a few bundles of veneer from the same log. I bought all 12, and a bundle of veneer. We will veneer some 1/2" multi ply that will go into some hollow cantilevered shelves w/ buried steel rod. We need the 1/2 thickness for that. The cases are pre-finished maple ply veneer core.

The bubinga sheets have an mdf core, and the price was about $12.50 a foot, $400 per sheet. This is much cheaper than I could lay them up for, in that quantity.If it came to it, I would have panels custom veneered locally, instead of laying them up myself. We do a lot veneering, but not in that quantity. There is a shop on my floor with a pretty decent veneer saw, and I have had Roman (the proprietor) seam up bundles before. We did a pile of Zebrano that worked out well.

Roman's veneer saw.

Poplar backer, and zebrano veneer for a furniture project.

I went for three years without doing a kitchen, and now I've done two back to back within 5 blocks of each other, since July. The other one, in the W. Village, is black dyed ash, with a large, heart pine island counter. Sounds odd but was quite pretty. Still working on pics for that one.

Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-18-2011, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great looking work, Jim! Keep the photos coming!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-18-2011, 12:30 PM

Looking great Jim! the finished kitchen is going to look stunning! What spray set-up are You using for the waterbourne finishes Jim?
I like the Zebra wood veneers too, do You have a picture of that furniture project?
Cheers!
Okami
Old 10-18-2011, 02:19 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

There could hardly be more incongruity between that crappy kitchen wall and the beautiful boxes that will cover it.

Thanks for the other pics too. The veneer press/saw...is that the little PC worm drive saw he's using to trim the veneer edges?
Old 10-18-2011, 09:19 PM

Thanks everyone. The veneer saw is an old PC side motor, not a worm drive. He could change that out to a festool, and get a better cut. This setup of his is 30 yrs old. Its nice because you can trim a whole bundle at once.

All the kitchen walls will be covered in either cabinetry or stone. I often feel like I'm trying to screw cabinets to loosely packed dirt. The GC on this job is top notch. The wall surfaces are fine where they need to be.

I'll move the zebrano case over to another thread. I have a few pics, but that piece is still in progress. My 11 yr. old camera is on its last leg, and the card reader crapped out. There's not even a service that will stll read the old style card. I can't shoot any more pics til I get a new camera.
Jim
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 PM

Sorry Okami,
I forgot to add that the spray set up is a Fuji Q3 Pro (7 yrs old). Its a work horse. The turbine sometimes runs all day, for several days in a row. I share the finishing room with my neighbor, and we use just the one turbine. We often are finishing jobs at the same time. You can imagine two kitchens worth in and out of the booth at the same time. I have no complaints about the Fuji at all.
Jim
Old 10-19-2011, 01:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Really nice work, Jim! Completely agree with Michael's comment... that wall looks condemned!

Sounds like you work in an interesting building with so many related crafts in neighboring spaces.

Thanks for posting the photos... I saw that the Zebrano photos are up, too, so thanks for sharing!
Old 10-26-2011, 10:29 PM

Update- All the flat panel doors and DF's are in. Appliances are going in. Stone arrives next week. We're working on the living room now. The site pictures were hastily shot, and there's still a lot of trash around. I hope to shoot some good pics when the client moves in and the place is dressed.

Sink Wall. Sub Zero down the way.

Stove Hood.

The 4/4 solid bubinga I got doesn't look very good. I have to make 4 glass doors for the pantry, so I ended up veneering the solid.

Here's a stack of veneered door stile/rails on the bench and on the rolling table.

The living room credenza gets a 3" wide, beveled face that miters around. The 8/4 I got looks pretty good. And the left over hunks will make some wood bodied planes, if I ever got around to it.

Cricket