talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 10:22 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Bubinga Kitchen

Looks great on the bench but...

how do you turn those screws?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:48 PM

The bolts go through the panel where the nuts haul up tight. The bolts don't turn. They are locked from turning inside the shelf. The length of the rod, and the compression make this a really strong assembly. You can climb on them. The shelves have nothing to do with the cabinet, BTW. The cabinet sits below and to the left of the hanging shelves.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-08-2011, 02:49 AM

You do some fantastic work cricket
I noticed you have the moulder on your felder saw, how do you like it?
Looking forward to seeing a picture or two of that tricky install!
Cheers!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:48 PM

Thanks Okami,
The Felder spindle moulder is top notch. Tilting spindle, and the big sliding table make it pretty versatile. The fence is excellent. The separate adjusting screws for infeed and outfeed ends work quite well, too, and there are some nice accessories that you can get.

I left the stock feeder on the Bridgewood, and keep a rabbeting cutter on that, always set up. The only downside to the Felder is its' combo usage with the saw. But I don't have the space for a separate large shaper, and it was much cheaper as part of the saw package. I am very pleased with Felder in general.
When I can, I'll put a Felder stock feeder on the machine. It has a big hinge so it swings down behind the machine when not in use.
Cricket
Old 11-22-2011, 04:58 PM

Well, we are finished with the living room unit, though I have not shot pictures of the completion. We were pretty crazed at the end, trying to get the job ready for the client to move in today. The contractor promised them Thanksgiving in the new place. I have some pics of the wall prep and installation.

The panel assembly is hung on cleats, which are fastened to a level plane of blocking.

The cantilevered shelves are bolted on from behind, before hanging the panels.

That's where these captured rods come in.

The base for the credenza cabinet and platform is set. On the left, above where the cabinet will go, there will be a white lacquered panel that the TV hangs on.

This unit is now done, and I'll take pictures next time I'm up there. We are still waiting on laminated Starfire glass for four of the kitchen doors.

Cricket
Old 11-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Super Moderator

That's seriously cool, Cricket! It's amazing how much detail work and planning goes into making something look simple.

Very beautiful.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:11 PM

Hi ,
Yes really kool, and the floating shelves look just great. Funny my nephew was asking last week , how do you do floating shelves.
But that rowboat is something else, and a cut above everything , I'm really jealous, been wanting to build one of those for years.

Mike
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 PM

Great work! Great shop.

So where does one get a calendar like the one hanging on your wall...
Attached Thumbnails
bubinga-kitchen-rothcredenz12_web.jpg  
Old 11-24-2011, 12:01 AM

Thanks folks,
Poto, the simple, modernist stuff is always the most complex to build. I have a propensity for complication, so there may be simpler ways to do this kind of thing. I've done a lot of matched, sequenced floating panels, and it can be tricky.

The calendar is from Lie Nielsen. There's a great pic for each month. I don't see it on their website. Ashok (the guy in a lot of the installation shots) picked it up from a tool show. He bought a plane from them, so maybe that's the trick. I did see a set of postcards that match the calendar pics. Lie-Nielsen Toolworks USA | Fun Stuff

I'll send in some more pics next week when we go back to finish up.
Oh, the boat is a sailing and rowing Matinicus peapod. I just started back to work on it today after collecting dust for the last six months (sailing season).
I'll post some of those maybe this weekend.
Cricket
Old 12-01-2011, 01:50 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfoot View Post
Great work! Great shop.

So where does one get a calendar like the one hanging on your wall...
The Lie-Nielsen 2012 calendar is available on their main page now for pre orders.