talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Bubinga Kitchen

Wait: you veneered bubinga with ... bubinga?!?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Wait: you veneered bubinga with ... bubinga?!?
Pretty much had to. What looked, in the rough, like good quartered stock, actually had some funky color. Straw and pink. Looked terrible next to the panels. So I veneered the solid stock with the figured veneer that matches the panels.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:09 AM

attaboy. Principle wins the day.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:34 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

Gotta do what is right..
Old 10-27-2011, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

I agree from an artistic point of view. I was just thinking that maybe it would have been less expensive to put a bubinga veneer on, say, poplar. Or (god forbid) MDF. I just think it's funny to veneer bubinga with bubinga. But clearly the right thing to do to get the right consistency. I admire your principles.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:00 PM

These are stile/rail doors with a rabbeted cope and stick. I would have to do far more work to treat the edges, the inside of the glass rebate. How do you then trim the edges w/o re-veneering, and what about the endgrain of the stiles that is exposed? Its not so much principals as economics, and that 4/4 bubinga isn't attractive enough for much, unless a dark stain was used. I couldn't see the true figure and color (in the rough) up on the racks in dim light when I bought the stuff. Its only 4 doors anyway.
Cricket
Old 10-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

I'm with you!

I'm really looking forward to seeing pictures of the kitchen once it's complete. It's going to be seriously stylish. What are the counter tops going to be made of?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:42 PM

It will be hard to photograph. Its a galley kitchen with a pantry at 90 deg. to the main axis. Its so narrow, that we got a scare when the subzero door opened to with a half inch or so of the projected counter edge on the opposite elevation. Close. The counters are granite, white with a blue and greyish grain. Pretty blue, really. I've only seen a small sample. We're sweating a deadline right now on completion of the whole project, and I have a little vanity to do too.

Cricket
Old 10-28-2011, 03:06 AM

I agree, it had to be done over the bubinga, would have been a right old headache laying the veneer on anything else. The wood was there, already bought for the job, makes sense to use it.
Cricket, does your supplier allow customer to take a few swipes with a plane, to get an idea of what's under?
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM

Here's an update on the bubinga project. We're going up to start installation of the living room unit on wed. Been putting in a lot of OT hours on this one. The unit consists of three large bubinga wall hung panels, 7' high and about 9.5' wide. Hanging from the panels are three cantilevered shelves. There is a full width base across the front, and a low credenza sits on that. Above the credenza is a white lacquered (4' x 5') panel on which the TV is mounted.

The panels laid out flat, with shelves located. The maple part visible here will be covered by the white panel and credenza.

The shelves are hollow, with a ladder frame and embedded threaded rod which bolts to the back of the panels.

The shelves are skinned with veneer laid up on multi-ply.

Skins are vacuum-bagged. New bag! My old one finally died. When I bought it, George H W Bush was pres., and Bill clinton was still diddling around in Arkansas!

Trimming the edge veneer.

The credenza is mitered together. We use tape to glue up the corners.

The corners come out pretty crisp.

There is hefty, beveled frame on the front of the cabinet, made from 8/4 stock. We beveled it on the table saw.

And cleaned it up with a scraper.

Mitered it on the Felder "chop saw". There's a front miter fence for one cut, and a back fence for the other.

The Forrest High AT gives a real clean cut in the bubinga.

There is a case within a case, separated by a particle board frame, and capped with the beveled face. Doors still have to go on.

That's enough for now. It will be a tough install.
Cricket