talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 01:48 AM

Default Workbench Build: Roubozappfel

I picked up a load of Radiata pine for my bench build. It's a mash of Holzappfel construction and Roubo workholding. My buddy is also building one, here's most of the lumber for our two benches, and a picture of the new shop, the master bedroom of my new apartment. The wood for the two benches, we may need more for stretchers, came to $85. Shwarz said cheap didn't he?
Attached Thumbnails
workbench-build-roubozappfel-dsc_3044.jpg   workbench-build-roubozappfel-dsc_3045.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:06 AM

Default Re: Workbench Build: Roubozappfel

Your new shop is also your masterbedroom? That is too funny as I remember way back when I started and turned a spare room into a make shift shop. A bench is a good way to start. What's with the guitar in the back? Put it in another room so you aren't tempted to use it for the wood. I'll be interested in seeing your bedroom, err shop in a few months from now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-15-2011, 03:13 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Ridata?

The big stuff looks like Doug Fir and the wide planks look like they could be SYP or DF. Maybe the glued up panels are ridata?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:02 AM

The glue up is a beech ikea worktop. I'm not positive about some of the beams in the pile as they are rough sawn, but at least half is definitely Radiata. The guitar is there, begging for me to stop woodworking and pick it back up. Sometime in the next decade I will do that, and I won't scrap it for wood.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:23 AM

Here's some more progress on the bench, I'm hoping to finish tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
workbench-build-roubozappfel-workbench-large.jpg   workbench-build-roubozappfel-workbench-detail.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 01:02 AM

Looking good Trevor. I love the robust, compact scale of that thing.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWalsh View Post
Here's some more progress on the bench, I'm hoping to finish tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Trevor that looks swanky.. What sort of vices are you planning on using? And, about how many hours do you have into the build so far?
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 AM

Thanks bigfoot, I'll have to check out your shaker bench build...

Shawn, the front vise will be a 9" Columbian quick release with a 12" or so chop the tail vise is a 7" Sheldon pattern QR like the kind Chris Schwarz used on the "Petite Roubo" I'd been looking for one for a while, and while buying a bunch of mahogany and other things out of this local guy's garage I found two! Lucky day indeed.

I may be missing a few hours, but I think it breaks down like this

Milling Day-5-7 hours for the top boards, xcutting by hand out of 10 footers etc.

Two board glue up for top-2 hours includes remilling a touch

Today (glueing on the other two boards for the top, milling leg and stretcher stock, cutting tenons, boring morti, some fitting to this stage) 9 hours.

Total so far is about 18, I expect maybe 4 tomorrow to get the top on and the legs pegged together. It will probably be slow moving all of those parts by myself. Then another 2 for vise install, one to flatten and one to throw some finish on? just a guess.
Old 11-28-2011, 06:48 PM

Hi Trevor,
Nice bench you've done there, and fast too! I enjoyed your blog, and saw your post on plane making. I made a Krenov style plane maybe 25 years ago, and have recently gotten interested in making some more, probably concave sole spar planes. I don't know where I'll get the time, but its a nice thought. Your shop must be somewhere NYC? Let us see the rebate plane you're working on.

Thanks for the photos,
Cricket
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 PM

Thanks Cricket, I'm not in NYC, but in Philadelphia. I'm only a year and change out of school, so no house yet. I'm working on that though.

As for the rabbet plane, it's not been worked on much since the last photos on the blog, however the bench is completed... I just have the chops and one more massive front vise to install.
Attached Thumbnails
workbench-build-roubozappfel-attachment-1.jpg   workbench-build-roubozappfel-attachment.jpg