talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 04:02 AM

Default Heating Lacquer to thin (instead of using thinners)

I've read and heard many stories of old timers heating lacquer to hot temperatures in order to lower the sprayable viscosity. I've tried this and it seems to work to some degree. I'd like to go a little hotter but I've always been a little nervous about heating a volume of lacquer past a certain degree point.

I notice that Kremlin's Airmix has a heater accessory that heats up to 197F. It's a pass through unit that heats as the fluid heads to the gun head (through the hoses).

This seems to be a resurgence of a common old way to thin thick material without solvents.

Has anyone had luck with heating the finish before spraying?

As a side, I had heard in a video with Paul Reed Smith that Ted McCarty (I believe it was Ted McCarty) had mentioned drums of lacquer with hot heater elements dropped in them. Sounds very dangerous. Ted McCarty was the president of Gibson Guitars.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou
Default Re: Heating Lacquer to thin (instead of using thinners)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickSorenson View Post
I've read and heard many stories of old timers heating lacquer to hot temperatures in order to lower the sprayable viscosity. I've tried this and it seems to work to some degree. I'd like to go a little hotter but I've always been a little nervous about heating a volume of lacquer past a certain degree point.

I notice that Kremlin's Airmix has a heater accessory that heats up to 197F. It's a pass through unit that heats as the fluid heads to the gun head (through the hoses).

This seems to be a resurgence of a common old way to thin thick material without solvents.

Has anyone had luck with heating the finish before spraying?

As a side, I had heard in a video with Paul Reed Smith that Ted McCarty (I believe it was Ted McCarty) had mentioned drums of lacquer with hot heater elements dropped in them. Sounds very dangerous. Ted McCarty was the president of Gibson Guitars.

I have often heated small quantities of pre- catalysed lacquer when the weather is cold - it sprays better and avoids bloom. I just put the bottle of lacquer in hot water. Mass production is another thing altogether and procedures such as heating the lacquer because it is too thick or there is need to avoid the use of solvents most likely are not applicable to small operations.