talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 04:08 PM

Default Burl hunting

I am fortunate enough to have: chainsaws, 4x4, and friends who own land with trees on it. I periodically go out looking for downed trees or things I can use on the lathe. I won't cut standing and healthy. There's enough damaged, fallen, standing dead, whatever, around, that I can keep plenty supplied with that.

Sometimes you get lucky. About a week and a half ago, I had a tree service guy kick a log off to the side for me. I'd only mentioned in passing that "if you ever see something like this" - and I got a nice, about 50lb, burl from a white oak. I spent some time cutting that, and (I'm trying to stock on pen blanks at the moment) got about 60 blanks out of it, once it was all cut. Naturally, there's a lot of loss to bark, bugs, voids, what have you.
Then Friday I was at my inlaws and my FIL says there's a big maple out by this pasture that just went down in a wind storm, do you want to have a look. Ok sure. At first glance, it looked pretty ho hum. There was one area that seemed enough of a maybe that I grabbed his chainsaw and cut a piece out, took it home, chopped it up.
Went back Sunday with my chainsaws.
It runs the gamut of names you could label maple with. Burl, swirl, mineral stained - it got to where I was like ok, I'm only keeping the really good looking stuff. And I got over 200 hunks 1x1x6", out of that. I can't wait to get some of it dried and turned.
burl-hunting-dsc_0109.jpg
That's the bulk of it. Waxed for now.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Burl hunting

Nice! I'm sensing a new business...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:09 PM

Nobody is more surprised than me at how many pens sell
And time is running out. Any wood I want to use between now and April, better get cut and stored in the next 30 days.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Is that when tree-hunting season ends?
Old 09-21-2011, 06:07 AM

Absolutely. It's Nebraska. Could be weather like Nevada, could be like Alaska. And tomorrow will be 50 degrees different.
Actually, weather allowing, if you were wanting to fell a living tree, winter is better. They seem to push some of the moisture out (do they know it's coming) and, I am told, distort less as a result.
I took a huge hunk of a Linden this summer that was a recent down, and it's down to 20%MC. I just re-turned it back into round today and that thing was like a football.
Old 09-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Tell me about Nebraska weather. I was working at Husker Harvest Days last week. 75 & sunny Tuesday, 50, windy & cloudy Wednesday, 45, windy & raining on Thursday. I went down to Wally World and bought long underwear on Tuesday night.

My friend bought some nice walnut logs from a guy near Dannebrog.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 09-22-2011, 05:33 AM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

I wish I could help the little girls with a cleft pallete... oh..wow
#!

Last edited by monstrol; 09-22-2011 at 05:34 AM. Reason: wrong video