talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: A new joint?

Michael, as I've said before, you are a truly awesome researcher!

The problem with a Japanese circular blade is that it would bend. Japanese saws work because they're in tension when making the cut. A circular blade would be in compression, and it would fail pretty rapidly (as anyone who has bent a Japanese sawblade could tell you).

One of BCTW's operating principles is that the tool should not create fine sawdust (or at least, the sawdust should not get into the air). So I'm not sure about these new-fangled motorized things...
Old 09-12-2011, 10:08 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Michael, as I've said before, you are a truly awesome researcher!

The problem with a Japanese circular blade is that it would bend. Japanese saws work because they're in tension when making the cut. A circular blade would be in compression, and it would fail pretty rapidly (as anyone who has bent a Japanese sawblade could tell you).

One of BCTW's operating principles is that the tool should not create fine sawdust (or at least, the sawdust should not get into the air). So I'm not sure about these new-fangled motorized things...
Blade stiffeners might work.

Here's an idea, some kind of channeled air current that would convey dust through through some kind of filtering medium like cheesecloth. Maybe a blower fitted to a stovepipe, powered by foot peddle, or, even better, an electric motor. I don't know, it sounds kinda sucky.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Super Moderator

Touché!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:20 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Roger's outrigger suggestion,

"...you might consider setting up a surface about four feet away to the left, (let's say) that's coplanar to the table top surface of your JMP. To act as an outrigger for your long stock. The tipy top surface need only be about an inch wide (in order to defer friction) and about the same length as the JMP, made of lets say plexiglass. (waxed and buffed!)
This will help keep your long lengths from stressing out the clamps on your table."
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!