talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 AM

Default 15+ year old bench replaced

About 15 years ago I purchased an inexpensive bench top that included end and tail vices, added legs and have used it since.

For quite some time now the vises rack so badly that to clamp anything it must be centered over the screw. My wife has quite a number of 'projects' for me so building a new one from scratch was not going to sell. I elect to do more of an assembly project. I ordered this kit Veritas® Bench Kit Components - Lee Valley Tools and these vises Veritas® Twin-Screw Vise - Lee Valley Tools and Veritas® Quick-Release Sliding Tail Vise - Lee Valley Tools from Lee Valley. Here is the result

Legs and stretchers are Fir and the bench top skirts are Maple. There are a few more dog holes to be drilled, some planing where the skirt is slightly above the top and and oil finish.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: 15+ year old bench replaced

Nice! Looks like a really beautiful, sturdy, functional bench, Tom. Please tell us how you like using it.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:29 PM

Default Re: 15+ year old bench replaced

It's been finished, to this point for about three days. I will come back after current project, Shaker style bookcase with doors, and detail what I like and don't like.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!