talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2011, 09:49 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Philip Marcou
Default Kitchen pimp up in NZ

250 mortice and tenons, 1 litre glue, 6 litres catalysed lacquer and under coat and vast amounts of re-sawing, planing and dimensioning plus much cursing were involved in putting a new front onto this kitchen belonging to my land lord.The wood is Rimu aka NZ Red Pine / Dacrydium cupressinum which came from one tree felled on his property. The tree was roughly converted by chainsaw into thick slabs around three inches thick, NZ style, so I had to re-saw it....Not a good way to go .
The bench top is Kauri , another type of pine.
So the job in theory was to make and fit framed panels and doors to the existing MDF carcasses- bad way to go as it would have been far better for me to have made and fitted these doors and panels before the cabinets were installed in the house-but I didn't have a say in that matter.
At any rate the customer is well pleased with the result and I am now observing with much interest my predictions on movement, warpage etc. An example being the glass door shown-here the centre rail managed to bow outwards by 9mm in the centre some time after I had routed the rebate for the glass-the rest of the frame stayed flat. There was no more timber to re-make that frame (or inclination on my part) so I fixed it by sawing three grooves across the rail and glueing in wedges-voila, all is well and the customer thinks I am very clever
All surfaces were hand planed after machine planing as normal and sanding was confined to cut back only between spray coats. I don't own a J20 or J15A so couldn't use either of those or an S20A for the hand planing but my trusty #5&1/2 did most of the work , together with a Veritas low angle jack .
A few pictures follow, and I can explain more if questions are asked.
Attached Thumbnails
kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0132.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0134.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0136.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0137.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0138.jpg  

kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0139.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0145.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-img_0149.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-door-straightened-centre-rail.jpg   kitchen-pimp-up-nz-centre-rail-straightening-wedges.jpg  

Last edited by Philip Marcou; 08-31-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2011, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Kitchen pimp up in NZ

Very impressive, Philip. The cabinets are beautiful - I wish the rest of the kitchen lived up to them. I love that they were made from a tree from the property.

How long had the lumber been dried? Three-inch slabs would take a few years to get acclimated, I would think.

Will there be a crown moulding? I love the little microwave cubby that you made.

Too bad you didn't have some better hand planes. I know this really amazing plane maker in New Zealand who lives quite close to you...

Thanks for posting this. It's great to hear from you, and nice to see you doing such beautiful work.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Very, very nice. Nice to see you back!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2011, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

Very, very nice. Nice to see you back!
on both counts!

I do happen to know where both a J20 and J15A can be had.

But I'm afraid the price may be quite dear.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:20 PM

Very nice sir. Great usage of a local timber. Much different than a cookie-cutter Home Depot/ DIY center type cabinet set, to be sure.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:26 PM

Very Nice Philip there's some lovely looking grain and colour in there.
It's not unusual to see full time crafts people without their own product
Old 08-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Very Nice Philip there's some lovely looking grain and colour in there.
It's not unusual to see full time crafts people without their own product
Philip,

Really beautiful work but fess up dude. What tools did you use on all of this and what percentage of your work was hand versus machine? I too would love to know how long it took to dry the wood and acclimate it. Was all of the work done in your shop or did you work on the jobsite?

Great job man.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
Philip,

Really beautiful work but fess up dude. What tools did you use on all of this and what percentage of your work was hand versus machine? I too would love to know how long it took to dry the wood and acclimate it. Was all of the work done in your shop or did you work on the jobsite?

Great job man.

Fred
if I recall correctly, Philip uses one or two pimped-up Records for his woodworking.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Very impressive, Philip. The cabinets are beautiful - I wish the rest of the kitchen lived up to them. I love that they were made from a tree from the property.

How long had the lumber been dried? Three-inch slabs would take a few years to get acclimated, I would think.

Will there be a crown moulding? I love the little microwave cubby that you made.

Too bad you didn't have some better hand planes. I know this really amazing plane maker in New Zealand who lives quite close to you...

Thanks for posting this. It's great to hear from you, and nice to see you doing such beautiful work.
Peter, the lumber had been drying for three years, in a shed with dirt floor and no door. When the owner stated his intentions of "making a kitchen with that wood" I told him to convert it to suitable thicknesses asap, then to stack & sticker them in another tin shed with proper floor ie somewhere with local climate more similiar to the house. I tested a few sawn pieces and found them to be "dry", which was surprising considering the initial thicknesses and damp conditions. I proceeded as NZ climate conditions are (to me at least) easy on timber as there are no prolonged extremes-it is damp and dank most of the time,ha ha.
There will be a crown moulding of sorts but it is for the carpenter/painter to do.
If I had had some "better hand planes" no kitchen would have been made-all that timber would have been converted to sheep bedding (shavings) as it is very nice to plane that stuff after the likes of Iroko and others.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
on both counts!

I do happen to know where both a J20 and J15A can be had.

But I'm afraid the price may be quite dear.

To which Fine Planes are you referring , Sire? My records show no indication of your ownership and I must therefore conclude that you are in possession of fakes- an increasing phenomenon as genuine Marcou planes are in short supply. Send both to me for inspection and certification purposes, with original packaging.

Last edited by Philip Marcou; 09-01-2011 at 09:18 AM.