talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2011, 07:17 AM

Default Pens

Yeah I got bit. One more thing to do with the lathe. But hey, they sell. Well, actually. Now, honestly, what sells the most are the cheaper price, the "slimline" style, which I myself think is very comfortable in the hand. But a fine point rollerball writes sooooo well.
Anyway, since I'm thinking a display roll of options seems to be in order since people are asking, this is one of the more pricy wares. And making it was fun.
If the whole idea of turning a pen on a lathe is new to you, here's the nutshell. You can buy kits containing all the metal parts. Caps, bands, whatever. It's up to you to turn the barrels (an exercise in very fine cuts), make a pleasing shape, finish it, and assemble it without mucking things up.
This one is a fountain pen. It has a good nib, the plating is all rhodium and titanium, and I sawed the oak burl off the side of a log I found when I was out plucking such things.
pens-statesman.jpg
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:05 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Pens

Nice shape and the burl is very interesting.

Randy, when you photograph something on a white background and the background is what is mostly filling the frame as in this case, you need to bump the exposure compensation about 2/3 to 1 in the positive (brighter) direction. Conversely, if you use black paper for the background compensate -1 or so. The more medium values the subject has and the more area the subject occupies, the less you need to compensate (deviate) from "normal".
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-27-2011, 09:12 PM

My photography skills go as such: the bench is too messy for a photo. There's a nice clean sheet of paper sitting here. Press button.
Sorry. It is what it is.
Old 08-28-2011, 06:25 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Looks nice, Randy!

As for the photography issue Michael mentioned, an easier solution than tweaking the exposure settings might be to simply shoot it on a piece of medium toned wood instead. That way you can still leave the bench all messy, and still get the shot in a hurry without having to think about it too much... AND end up with a nice warm photo that emphasizes the subject.
That right there is smart
Old 08-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Laurie, yes. I have. There's a zillion possibilities with plastics. Acrylics, polys, whatever. And I've done some. It is a very different animal on the lathe than wood. And with the translucent ones, you need to get barrels that won't show through the plastic. Depending - could be white, black, nickle,
Anyway. I'm not a huge fan of turning plastic. It looks fine, no issue there. But I guess plastic just doesn't do it for me like wood. For now.