talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 05:15 PM

Default baltic birch

I am very fond of working with a good plywood - am a sucker, I guess, for a handsome edge.

But, as always, it is very difficult to get anything resembling good stock here. I have run across some good material in places like Calgary, WHEN I have room in whatever vehicle/trailer I'm passing through with....

so I haven't a good idea of what passes for good pricing.

Which brings me to the question, and the reason I'm posting here rather than in Richard's playground isn't because I have any interest in 'undercutting' him, so to speak, but because I truly haven't any good handle on what the going rate is these days for high-quality stock. As many of you will have seen, W'peck is offering some 18mm (11/16+ or 3/4-) genuine baltic birch, and I am very interested in learning how his prices compare to those others offer.

Any help? (And if a mod wants to re-site this into the Woodpeckers forum, that's fine, too...)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2011, 05:20 PM

Default Re: baltic birch

~ $50 / 5' X 5' X 1/2" BB in MA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:40 PM

$92 bucks for BB 4x8 3/4" thick in Fort Wayne, IN. When I get back to Atlanta I will call around and get prices.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:15 PM

5x5 1/2" about 48 and 3/4" about $60
There is one place I can get what I call a 4x8 knockoff, it is a domestically made BB but it does not compare completely - I do not know who the mfr is. It is better than your average ply but not as good as the 5x5 import. But the price reflects that at about $35 a sheet.
I love the 5x5. Clean, white, no defects, no voids, completely stable and flat. Great for veneer work.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I've never tried it but apple ply (appleply?) is a domestic product that is supposed to be similar to BB.

Last cabinet job I did the supplier offered 1/2 sheets (30"x60") of 2 side pre-finished 1/2" BB for about $26 each. It was perfect for drawers.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:50 PM

As I understand ApplyPly does the 4x8 BB at a much inflated rate than the usual 5x5s.