talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Founding Member

Default Split Top Roubo

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As many of you know, I have ostensibly been working on building my bench. To say the least it has been a slow process but for two fairly decent reasons. The first and probably the least of the two is that my right knee is in terrible shape and as of right now it is going to be scoped on Aug. 22nd. The second and biggest reason is that I decided to build it using hand tools. It has been slow but it has also been a blast and my hands skills are substantially better. Of course my planes have been used everywhere but the tenons I cut out with saws and then shoulder and rabbet planes. The mortises I have in initially drilled out with a hand brace and some old Russell Jennings auger bits. After that I used my mortise and paring chisels. The long shallow dadoes I cut with my router plane.

What you will see below are the outlines of the base. I still have to build the shelf and install the Glide which is what I am working on right now and then finally the top and the wagon vise. I have pictures of almost all of the work in progress but I did not want to post it if I was just boring people so unless I hear otherwise I am just going to post the four pictures below until I get something else finished. I hope you all enjoy iy.

Fred

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Split Top Roubo

Looking good Fred.... Come on post them.....woodworking photos on Talkfestool..... What next ? ... On topic discussions !
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Bah.. never a bore.. post more pictures

I take it this is a Benchcrafted bench?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Come on with the "work-in-progress" photos already!

And, I cannot help be comment on how much your shop's floor reminds me of my late mother's dining table where she always had a jigsaw puzzle in progress. She always needed help finding where all the pieces belonged.

Okay, be honest now, and let's have a show of hands from those that just returned from taking another glance at Fred's photos above...

Old 08-11-2011, 01:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

C'mon Fred, more pics.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:11 AM

Hey Fred,

Are you using maple or ash?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:05 AM

C'mon Fred, let the photos roll!!!
That's looking really fine so far! The game changes when it's all done by hand eh! Excellent!
Old 08-11-2011, 03:45 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Nice progress, Fred! I can't wait to see the finished bench.

Is that a Hammer K3 storage shelf in the background?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959

Last edited by Wonderwino; 08-11-2011 at 04:19 AM.
Old 08-11-2011, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
... And, I cannot help be comment on how much your shop's floor reminds me of my late mother's dining table where she always had a jigsaw puzzle in progress. She always needed help finding where all the pieces belonged.

Okay, be honest now, and let's have a show of hands from those that just returned from taking another glance at Fred's photos above...
Ah, come on now... Is Laurie the only one that will admit it?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:47 AM
Super Moderator

It's looking wonderful, Fred! I bet that if we saw some closeups of the joints they'd be light-tight.

It certainly looks solid. I can hardly wait to see the vise and top.