talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   Split Top Roubo (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/4741-split-top-roubo.html)

FredWest 08-10-2011 07:08 PM

Split Top Roubo

Ladies and Gentlemen,

As many of you know, I have ostensibly been working on building my bench. To say the least it has been a slow process but for two fairly decent reasons. The first and probably the least of the two is that my right knee is in terrible shape and as of right now it is going to be scoped on Aug. 22nd. The second and biggest reason is that I decided to build it using hand tools. It has been slow but it has also been a blast and my hands skills are substantially better. Of course my planes have been used everywhere but the tenons I cut out with saws and then shoulder and rabbet planes. The mortises I have in initially drilled out with a hand brace and some old Russell Jennings auger bits. After that I used my mortise and paring chisels. The long shallow dadoes I cut with my router plane.

What you will see below are the outlines of the base. I still have to build the shelf and install the Glide which is what I am working on right now and then finally the top and the wagon vise. I have pictures of almost all of the work in progress but I did not want to post it if I was just boring people so unless I hear otherwise I am just going to post the four pictures below until I get something else finished. I hope you all enjoy iy.

Fred

colinwhite 08-10-2011 07:14 PM

Re: Split Top Roubo

Looking good Fred.... Come on post them.....woodworking photos on Talkfestool..... What next ? ... On topic discussions ! :D :Laughing2:

ShawnR 08-10-2011 11:38 PM

Bah.. never a bore.. post more pictures :raisedhand:

I take it this is a Benchcrafted bench?

Corwin 08-10-2011 11:55 PM

Come on with the "work-in-progress" photos already!

And, I cannot help be comment on how much your shop's floor reminds me of my late mother's dining table where she always had a jigsaw puzzle in progress. She always needed help finding where all the pieces belonged.

:elephant: :elephant: :elephant:

Okay, be honest now, and let's have a show of hands :raisedhand: from those that just returned from taking another glance at Fred's photos above...

TahoeTwoBears 08-11-2011 01:08 AM

C'mon Fred, more pics.

ShawnR 08-11-2011 01:11 AM

Hey Fred,

Are you using maple or ash?

Okami 08-11-2011 02:05 AM

C'mon Fred, let the photos roll!!!
That's looking really fine so far! The game changes when it's all done by hand eh! Excellent!

Wonderwino 08-11-2011 03:45 AM

Nice progress, Fred! I can't wait to see the finished bench.

Is that a Hammer K3 storage shelf in the background? :Laughing2::Laughing2::Laughing2::Laughing2: :Laughing2::devildance::aol!: BIG Big Grin

Corwin 08-11-2011 04:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hasslefactor (Post 71476)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corwin (Post 71469)
... And, I cannot help be comment on how much your shop's floor reminds me of my late mother's dining table where she always had a jigsaw puzzle in progress. She always needed help finding where all the pieces belonged.

Okay, be honest now, and let's have a show of hands :raisedhand: from those that just returned from taking another glance at Fred's photos above...

:raisedhand:

Ah, come on now... Is Laurie the only one that will admit it?

Poto 08-11-2011 04:47 AM

It's looking wonderful, Fred! I bet that if we saw some closeups of the joints they'd be light-tight.

It certainly looks solid. I can hardly wait to see the vise and top.