talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 02:13 PM

Default Re: Split Top Roubo

Looking good, Fred! Can't wait to see more!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-12-2011, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Jim! Great to hear from you! How are things going? Have you used your bench much?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:46 PM

Hi Peter, I'm more of a 3 season woodworker. Summers here are spent on the golf course. In fact I just got back from Bermuda. Very nice!

I've been working on a stand alone tool chest for all of my hand tools, I'll post pictures when I finish in the fall. For now I'll be enjoying seeing Fred's progress on his roubo!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-13-2011, 02:25 AM
Founding Member

Okay, here are some of the pictures right from the beginning.

Fred

Two shots above of the 232 board feet of maple sitting there acclimating and anticipating.

Checking out the plans from Jameel and wondering what in the hell did i get myself into.

First pictures of the legs, how I have marked them out and a cut in one of the tenons that had to be plugged. READ THE PLANS!!!

The final picture of the night will be below and it is the six boards ready to become the six side and long rails.

Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Cool pics, Fred. Thanks! Isn't it amazing how a pile of lumber can turn into an heirloom?

Or a pile of smaller lumber...

This is going to be one awesome bench. Looking forward to more pics and progress.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Founding Member

Peter,

Thank you and all of the rest. Jim, do not look at these as your bench is so beautiful. This series of pictures will show my effort at cutting the tenons and the mortises. They are obviously nowhere near as sharp and beautiful as machine cut tenons and mortises but I am having a great time doing these and they are getting better.

Fred

The last shot above is obviously before any planing or chiseling. For some reason I did not take any pictures of me doing that but you can see some end results on the tenons on the tops of the legs.

All of the mortises were drilled out using one of several braces with old Russell Jennings auger bits. I bought them on ebay several years ago and they come in a small box with three level in it that hold the auger bits. I see them on ebay all of the time and they are worth whatever you pay for them.

On the close up you can see that the rail leans a little to the side however when the other end is fit into the other leg it straightens out and is completely flush.

Just wanted to show a single picture of how the very shallow dado was cut on the four lower rails.
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator

It's really fun seeing how you cut the tenons, drilled out the mortises, and did your dado Fred. I imagine you improved quite a bit with all those tenon cuts. Did you find you could get closer to the line as you did more of them?

Keep up the great work, and keep those pictures coming!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Very nicely done Fred
You should be proud of the fact that although You have every power tool and machine known to man, You have chosen to take this on with hand tools You'll remember every piece of grain and joint by the time You've finished, the quirky grain, the mortice that was tougher than the others etc etc...
its what woodworking is all about
Old 08-16-2011, 04:12 AM

Okami, I think you also forgot to mention that Fred has every hand tool known to man as well. How many makers can we list. Konrad Sauer, Marcou, who made those saws?
Old 08-16-2011, 04:58 AM
Super Moderator

I hadn't noticed that, Laurie. You're right - it's a really handy feature.

Does LN sell them? Does it still count as a hand tool?