talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Split Top Roubo

Thats looking really great work.
Are you going to have to walk around the bench once the top is on?

I had another and another look.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevros1 View Post

I had another and another look.
Alright then. That makes two.

I don't know about the rest of these guys...

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-11-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator

I've been watching it grow full of holes and tenons via Skype. But I admit - I went back to look at the pictures again.

You have to admit - Fred's photography is really improving!
Old 08-11-2011, 05:09 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Yep, Fred's photography is improving.
Fred's skills are improving.
Fred's shop is improving.

I hope Fred's knee is improving too.
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Unfortunately, it's not. The poor guy can hardly walk, and he's in constant agony (agon-knee?). I don't know how he pushes through.

I sure hope the arthroscopic surgery does the trick.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Unfortunately, it's not. The poor guy can hardly walk, and he's in constant agony (agon-knee?). I don't know how he pushes through.

Me too. Yet, what puzzles me is all those floor mats strewn about. Sure hope Fred doesn't trip over one and make matters worse. Hang in there bro!

Old 08-11-2011, 09:54 PM

That's a big 10 4 good buddy.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corwin View Post
Me too. Yet, what puzzles me is all those floor mats strewn about. Sure hope Fred doesn't trip over one and make matters worse. Hang in there bro!

Corwin et al,

As far as the floor mats, I will admit that I have tripped over them a couple of times but being able to stand on them while I am working is worth everything. Once I finish putting everything in place, I will get more of these and fill in some of the spaces.

Yes, it is a Benchcrafted bench. I have the Glide Leg vise and the Wagon vise. The bench is going to be under the only windows in the basement and they are north facing so I will have good natural light for planing. It will actually be two to three feet out from the wall as I want to be able to walk around it. So far the bench is made of maple. It is supposed to be all soft maple but it apparently is not. The last three mortises each took over two hours. I am SOOOOO glad that I did not go with all hard maple as I initially wanted to. Luckily Jameel, Ron & Konrad all strongly suggested soft maple which as I have learned is not all that soft. Jameel's plans suggest Ash for the large chop on the leg vise and then white oak for the parallel guide. My own personal choice bit I did not like the grain of the ash set against the maple and adding the white oak just gave me different shades of white on white. So, I looked through my lumber and found some beautiful Tasmanian Pink Myrtle(TPM). According to Woodworkers Source Tasmanian Myrtle has a dry stiffness of 2015 at 1000 psi and has a hardness rating of 1325 lbs. Using the same source Ash came in with a dry stiffness of 1720 at 1000 psi and a hardness rating of 1320 lbs. So, I said to myself, self you have a lot of TPM including one rather large piece a little over 9 inches wide, 36 inches long and 1 3/4 inches thick. Hmm, so I cut it down to 26 1/2 inches, flattened one side and then took another 3/4 inch piece, flattened one side of that and glued them up. I now usually use Konrad's stainless steel jointer (aka Big Daddy) of 28 1/2 inches to initially flatten the two side and used my new purty smoother from Ron to clean it up. So, I have enough of the TPM to make the big chop, the parallel guide and the sliding Deadman. Now most of you have already figured out this next part but for those of you that are particularly slow, like Peter, the TPM has a hue that matches my walls minus the white area and my ceiling. The very same walls and ceiling I have been so thoroughly chastised by so many of you but now, I mean NOW there is a reason.

I have many, many pictures of the build as I have moved through this build. Later today I will start posting some of them. Thank you all for so many kind and wonderful posts.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-12-2011, 04:48 AM

I can't wait to see more, I've been putting off a bench build until I get a space of my own/I rent the whole house from my landlord. Soon soon. It's going to be a Roubo of some sort. Today I scored two quick action vises like Schwarz uses as an end vise on the 18th c. French Bench and among other wood about 18 BF of old genuine mahogany. one is a 7 foot heavy 4/4, 10 1/2" wide! Perfectly clear. I'll post pics sometime.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 AM
Administrator

Great photos, Fred, and nice work!

Keep 'em coming!