talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2011, 04:46 AM

Default Chess Boards complete !

Hi,

I have been wanting to make some chess boards for a along time and finally finished a couple. As much as I like wood I decided I wanted a different look for the field.

After a fruitless search for tiles that were the right size, finish , and had perfectly even edges I ended up using VCT (vinyl composite tile) aka commercial floor tile..

The two shown have walnut trim. One is Yellow heart, the other Purpleheart.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 08-22-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2011, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Chess Boards complete !

The boards look great. I've thought about making some boards myself but, like you, I didn't like the idea of using wood. The tile came out looking good.

I was also aware the square corners must be perfect, any error will be multiplied with the 8x8 grid. Nice idea using the router to keep them square. Any pictures of the router sled? I know the sled doesn't play much of a role in the squareness but it might still be nice to see it.

I assume you're a chess player since you have the board set up right and the proper square in the right corners. I played while going through school but my senior year our family moved to Florida and I never found any one down there that played.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-07-2011, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Nice boards, Seth. I particularly like the one with the walnut frame - the contrast of the white and black with the wood is very nice.

I too would love to see your jig for ensuring squareness. It's always a challenge. Good call on the vinyl tile - looks nice, and I suspect it's easier to work with than, say, marble.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:47 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
I was also aware the square corners must be perfect, any error will be multiplied with the 8x8 grid. Nice idea using the router to keep them square. Any pictures of the router sled? I know the sled doesn't play much of a role in the squareness but it might still be nice to see it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Nice boards, Seth. I particularly like the one with the walnut frame - the contrast of the white and black with the wood is very nice.

I too would love to see your jig for ensuring squareness. It's always a challenge. Good call on the vinyl tile - looks nice, and I suspect it's easier to work with than, say, marble.
+ 1 on the B&W and seeing the sled.

Steve, the sled itself isn't a factor in squareness but the fence on the sled is. Whether riding the miter slot or fence, on a router table or table/band saw, the fence has to be absolutely perpendicular to the travel of the sled.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:05 PM

Steve, yes I am a player.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 08-22-2012 at 08:01 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM

Super clean work Seth, good job!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Now that the floor in in,

Time to bring in the furniture.

Just kidding Seth. I hope this doesn't kill the thread.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:40 PM

Love the idea of using flooring material. My favorite is the classic tournament green and white. Like Steve I have not played since my sophomore year of high school.

Do you have plans to also make the pieces and a clock?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnR View Post

... Like Steve I have not played since my sophomore year of high school.
I have one of these:

It's always ready to play, and it doesn't talk too much.

Old 08-09-2011, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Nice job, Seth - they look great!

What did you finally decide on for your polishing process?

I don't think scratching should be to big an issue with felted pieces.

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 08-22-2012 at 08:05 PM.