talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM

Default Steel string guitar

I finished up my acoustic build last week. The body finish is French polish. The neck has an oil/varnish finish. This is my first project with the French polish finish and I really like it. It takes a lot of hand work but the end result is the best finish for an acoustic. The finish is very thin which doesn't dampen the sound. The headstock and fretboard design is cut from mother of pearl and snail shell. The body and sides are monkey pod. The top is sitka spruce. The neck is tiger maple. The fretboard and bridge are ebony. Now I need to practice my playing. My playing sounds like the blues without trying. I've had a few experts play it and happy to report it sounds really nice. The back pic is prior to finish. Monkey pod is similiar to koa but darker. My next one maybe koa. This coming weekend Tropical Hardwoods in Carlsbad is having a parking lot sale so I'm hoping to score some at a better price. Koa doesn't usually go on sale.
Attached Thumbnails
steel-string-guitar-1026small.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_0895.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_1027.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_1028.jpg  

Last edited by trident98; 07-31-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:02 PM
Founding Member

Default Re: Steel string guitar

Tim,

That is really beautiful work and the french polish is a great finish. How long from start to finish did this whole job take? Also, what made you go with steel as opposed to nylon strings?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-31-2011, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Nice, Tim! I love the wavy dots on the fretboard. And did you chamfer the edge of the bottom? Or perhaps that's an optical illusion. Great job.

Any pictures of the build?
Old 08-01-2011, 01:23 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Nice, Tim! I love the wavy dots on the fretboard. And did you chamfer the edge of the bottom? Or perhaps that's an optical illusion. Great job.

Any pictures of the build?
Peter,

Those wavy dots on the fretboard look like flowers to me I can't tell if that is chamfered or not.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 08-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Beautiful job Tim!
The inlay is very impressive.
I really like the form and love the bridge. It's like a smile.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:47 AM

The pics I have are from my point and shoot so not the best. I need to take the strings off and give the finish one last go around before I take it to the photographer I normally use. I wanted to hear how it played so strung it up. Now I'll go back and get the action adjusted the way I want and then a final polish. Poto, I do have some in progress pics I'll post. The wavey dots are orchid buds on a vine. A better closeup pic will show them. Fred, I choose a steel string because I like playing the blues, err rather attempt at playing the blues. Also, the peghead on a steel string leaves me a good "canvas" for my inlay work. My next build will be a classic with nylon strings as I'm now taking lessons in classical guitar. My wife started violin lessons today so the house will sound haunted for the next few years.
Attached Thumbnails
steel-string-guitar-img_0846.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_0860.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_0882.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_0886.jpg   steel-string-guitar-img_0892.jpg  

steel-string-guitar-img_1028.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 05:09 AM

Looks like a job for MicroBowClamps!

I like your tools. What does the router rig do?
Old 08-02-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trident98 View Post
The pics I have are from my point and shoot so not the best. I need to take the strings off and give the finish one last go around before I take it to the photographer I normally use. I wanted to hear how it played so strung it up. Now I'll go back and get the action adjusted the way I want and then a final polish. Poto, I do have some in progress pics I'll post. The wavey dots are orchid buds on a vine. A better closeup pic will show them. Fred, I choose a steel string because I like playing the blues, err rather attempt at playing the blues. Also, the peghead on a steel string leaves me a good "canvas" for my inlay work. My next build will be a classic with nylon strings as I'm now taking lessons in classical guitar. My wife started violin lessons today so the house will sound haunted for the next few years.
Hope you don't mind Tim but I want to drop in the most beautiful blues instrumental I've ever heard. Who does she hope to be? by Sonny Sharrock.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:03 AM

I hadn't heard of this musician. He sounds like a blues/jazz mix. Nice to listen to. Good music when working with hand tools. I listen to different music depending on what I working on in my shop. I once caught myself cutting with my jewelers saw to fast. I was keeping time with whatever I had playing. Good way to break those small blades. I'm waiting for my son in law to get me a cd of him playing with some of my guitars. Not sure how to upload the music as you did.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:12 AM

Michael,

I spent quite a few hours making all the jigs for this acoustic. The jig you see in the pic holds the router in a vertical position, allows it to move on a horizontal and vertical plane for routing the purfling and bindings around the outside front and back edge of the guitar body. The guitar is held in a fixed level position and the router follows the contour using a trimmer bit with the bearings matching the wood purflings or binding. I can't take credit for the design. I read about it on the web, found some pics and by trial and error made my own. It would also work well for adding a band around a lid or box top.