talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 01:03 AM

Default Blanket Chest Class

Here is a butternut blanket chest I'm building this week at the Philadelphia Furniture Workshop...
Attached Thumbnails
blanket-chest-class-dscf1767.jpg   blanket-chest-class-dscf1779.jpg   blanket-chest-class-dscf1780.jpg   blanket-chest-class-dscf1786.jpg   blanket-chest-class-dscf1787.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-29-2011, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Blanket Chest Class

That is going to look terrific, trevor. My thinking is a guy just can't have enough blanket chests. I saw one on the cover of Woodworkers Journal and had to have it. I didn't get to make all those dovetails though.

Good thinking with the wider tail on the bottom. That's what separates me from you and the others, I probably wouldn't have thought of that until much too late.

Good work and have fun!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM

Thanks, but I can't take credit for that, Mario Rodriguez figured out all the layout, then we make a template based on the calculations.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:31 AM

Here are some more pictures, sorry it's still not the whole thing, the lid is in the basement getting a few more coats of shellac. I'm going to teach my girlfriend about shellac and finishing, she wants to get into woodworking a bit and I love it.

The till has a QS red oak lid and believe it or not, poplar front and bottom. I think it's some sort of mineral streaking, the color doesn't age or fade. It's very splashy.
Attached Thumbnails
blanket-chest-class-dsc_2844.jpg   blanket-chest-class-dsc_2845.jpg   blanket-chest-class-dsc_2846.jpg  
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Poplar is the most variable wood. I saw a nice blond piece last week that resembled fiddleback maple. A friend told me about the time he was trying to refinish a piece of furniture and it had this weird green stain that he couldn't get to the bottom of with sandpaper. Luckily someone notice he was trying to sand the green out of a piece of poplar and told him he was done.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:23 PM

Hahaha.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWalsh View Post
Here are some more pictures, sorry it's still not the whole thing, the lid is in the basement getting a few more coats of shellac. I'm going to teach my girlfriend about shellac and finishing, she wants to get into woodworking a bit and I love it.

The till has a QS red oak lid and believe it or not, poplar front and bottom. I think it's some sort of mineral streaking, the color doesn't age or fade. It's very splashy.
Trevor,

That is going to be a really stunning chest. It must be a blast to take a class with Mario. Congrats and thanks for the pictures.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 07-31-2011, 07:21 PM

Fred, Mario and Alan are two of the best guys I've met. They are a free sharing wealth of information, and very good at the trade. I'm taking a few more classes with them this year. Oh my wallet! Worth every cent though.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:20 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWalsh View Post
Fred, Mario and Alan are two of the best guys I've met. They are a free sharing wealth of information, and very good at the trade. I'm taking a few more classes with them this year. Oh my wallet! Worth every cent though.
Trevor,

That is great and I have no doubt that they are great teachers. If you do not mind would you either email or pm the cost unless you do not mind posting it here.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 07-31-2011, 10:52 PM

I don't mind, you can find it on their website too.

The chest was $1150 with another $127 something for the hardware. If at first that looks steep, I'd like to point out a few things; firstly, an enormous amount of prep work goes into the classes, board selection, milling, panel glue-up, further milling. They are very selective of stock. The shop is well equipped with both machines and hand tools, a whole wall of student users, vintage, LN and LV, Starret measuring tools, Shapton stones and high speed grinders all for student use. Let's not forget the cabinet maker's benches with bench on benches. The other big portion is that you get more than you think you are paying for. If something interesting comes up in class, Alan will side track to a certain extent, you'll learn things you didn't set out to. They also don't believe in sending people home with "kits", you walk out of their classes with what you wanted to build, you can go home and finish it.

I haven't been to any other schools, but it's plain to me that they are very good at what they do, they aren't just teachers, they are woodworkers in either of their personal shops there is almost always some piece being worked on for a client or for themselves.