talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2011, 05:15 PM

Default Some days I should stay in bed!

Part 2 of the entertainment centre WIP: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...stayinbed.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-13-2011, 05:51 PM

Default Re: Some days I should stay in bed!

There was more than one comment on the forums that this posting of my errors made others feel much more relaxed about their own work. This was my intention here to show that we all make errors, and rarely are they permanent. Most are recoverable. In any event, no one is perfect or should expect perfection. Just enjoy your time in the woodshop.
Onto the next time.

Regards from Perth
Derek

Thanks for the post. Great job on those hand cut dovetails. I assume they are because anyone having hand planes can grasp the use of chisels to cut dovetails. I used to do them by hand but..... well I'm in a hurry sometimes. Ya it's sometimes good to hear others make the same mistakes, most of us can relate. Not all though there's one whose name is well ... it starts with a P and ends kind of a 0. Perfection every time.

I've cut a panel in the same manner that you describe. I too put a filler in but by the time the project went too far that panel was tossed. I've cut dovetails on the wrong board making the tails showing on the drawer opening side. I was going to let that go until I realized the drawer was now the wrong dimension to fit the opening. Those boxes are still here someplace collecting dust. Someone who gets the job of cleaning this place after I'm dead will have to trash them because I can't.

What is that wood similar to? It almost looks mahogany.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2011, 07:42 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekcohen View Post
Part 2 of the entertainment centre WIP: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...stayinbed.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Derek,

I have to say that I give you TREMENDOUS credit for even going back in the shop the next day. I think I might have run upstairs and and started heavily drinking which I do not do. I also applaud your fixes as they came out great.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Those are beautiful cabinets, Derek. I've made similar mistakes (in contrast to what Mark may have suggested, if I'm the P.....O person - but perhaps he meant Per Swenso ... n). I usually end up filling them with a contrasting wood, and pretending that they were intentional design elements. I guess that wouldn't have worked so well with your military chests, though.

I imagine that you used some very creative language when you noticed that you'd done it a third time. One of my best mistakes was putting the side of a dovetailed cabinet in upside down during the glue up. A friend (who never drops by) happened to come by exactly as I was in the middle of the glue up, and distracted me.

At least that's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it.

It's hard to notice unless you know what you're looking for. Much like your repairs. Nice save!
Old 07-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Great save, Derek! We've all done that or worse. I just don't have pictures to prove it!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-14-2011, 03:24 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

The project is going to look beautiful Derek. And thanks, it is encouraging to hear that even craftsmen as experienced and gifted as you make "unintended deviations" in their work.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
The project is going to look beautiful Derek. And thanks, it is encouraging to hear that even craftsmen as experienced and gifted as you make "unintended deviations" in their work.

Hum.... "unintended deviations", so that's what I've been doing. Here I thought it was "plan alterations" I meant that leg to be shorter.

And poto yes and I was right the one mistake you say you made wasn't your mistake after all was it?
Old 07-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
Great save, Derek! We've all done that or worse. I just don't have pictures to prove it!
This chest of drawers was built several years ago for my son. Spot the mistake ...

Here's another view ..

It was one of the first larger pieces I built purely with handtools:

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-14-2011, 06:31 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

No drawer bottom?

Otherwise, looks great!
Old 07-14-2011, 07:02 PM

It looks like the 2 center drawers are upside down. Did you run the groove for the drawers bottoms on the top instead of the bottom?