talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Some days I should stay in bed!

Hi Steve ... Nope Any other ideas?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:49 PM

One more guess,

The first full length drawer, the dovetail pins on the left side look too deep, as if you forgot it was blind dovetail joint.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2011, 03:05 PM

Sorry Steve ... nope again ..

Gee, I didn't think it would be that difficult. But now ....

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-15-2011, 03:09 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Derek,

What struck me right away is the layout of pins/tails. Did you cut mark them backwards? Were the tails supposed to be wide and the pins narrow?
Old 07-15-2011, 04:11 PM

Chris, you got it.

I have this vague memory of gang cutting the dovetails for the drawers. Marked, sawed, chiselled, transfered .... and it was only when I was assembling the drawers that I realised I had the dovetails backwards!

On paper this should be a weak joint. However I built this Shaker chest of drawers about 7 years ago for my, then, 11 year old son. He has given it a real going over since then, and today it looks the same as the day it went into his bedroom. The wonder of modern glues?

For those needing an illustration, I do prefer my drawers to look like this one (from a recent project) ..

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 07-15-2011, 06:07 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

The very first drawer dovetails I made had six of the drawers correct and two (the first two) backwards. Those two rely on the glue to hold the drawer fronts. It's a good mistake to make because I don't think I'll ever make that same mistake again.... I told & showed on myself here because back then not many were doing dovetails so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have been noticed (especially if I didn't ask for others to find the mistake).

The other crutch that I didn't know back then was to mark the drawer parts with the cabinetmaker's "triangle" to reference their finish orientation.