talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 AM

Default Adirondack chair with Greene & Greene influence

About six months ago I joined Mark Spagnuolo's Wood Whisperer Guild. At my skill level I've found the videos very informative and valuable - very much worth the cost. I am now participating in my first "Guild Build' - an Adirondack Chair with some Greene & Greene elements. I started a blog to document my efforts. It is not meant to be any fine prose but just to quickly show, for other guild members, the methods and tools that are different than those Mark shows in his videos. You can find it here.
Wood Musings
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Adirondack chair with Greene & Greene influence

Great job, Tom. You sure have some nice tools! I've been eyeing the MFS, but have yet to be able to justify the cost. Do you use it a lot?
Old 07-11-2011, 05:03 PM

Yes I use it quite often. It was the key to making the large mortice and tenons on the Pencil Post bed.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Tom,

What has been your opinion of the WW Guild membership? I believe there are a few folks here that are subscribed, Paul Martel was/is one.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:19 AM

The guild membership has been one of the best woodworking investments I have made. All previous videos are available when you join. Mark produces several 20-30 minutes videos for each build going into considerable detail. These are not the Norm Abrams New Yankee Workshop build an entire project in 1 or 2 25 minute episodes. The chest of drawers had 12 and the Adirondack chair has had seven so far and there are probably 4-5 more to come. For some builds he will make two, one with solid wood and the other incorporating sheet goods. He gives alternate approaches trying to accommodate skill level and less well equipped shops.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 AM

If anyone is interested I've added update to include work on the side legs and front apron. Wood Musings
Old 07-19-2011, 11:14 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

A great blog you have going there Tom! Keep up the good work.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:17 AM

It's finished. Never sat in one before. It is not comfortable, to low and does not fit my back well. Oh well, it was a fun build and I learned quite a bit. It will go on the guest cabin deck. The Mahogany was dyed using Darrell Peart's formula of General Finishes water based dyes. The finish is Penofin Hardwood outdoor oil. Not sure I would use it again. The wood does not seem to have the depth I think it should. I have some General Finishes Outdoor Oil on order and plan to try it on some scrap - had planned to use it on this but McFeelys is taking a long time to ship (even though it said 'in stock') and needed to get this project out of the shop.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 AM

Would you redo the plans to make it more comfy??? or just forget the out door chairs? Inquiring minds want to know. I've thought about building some... Maybe I should test ride a few first, then I'll know what I like, like Peter did
Old 08-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Hey - nothing wrong with test-driving chairs. It's when you test-drive wives that life gets difficult.

Tom, I hear you on the uncomfortableness of the Adirondack chairs. I've never seen the appeal. Unless it has some nice cushions.