talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2011, 01:29 AM
Administrator

Default Re: What I did on my summer vacation...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post

Thanks very much for posting this, Peter. Your entertainment becomes our entertainment.
Also entertaining would be a video of Peter performing the Franks Family Whistle.

Old 07-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Founding Member

John,

That was very cool. However, it made me long for my black light, some beads, bell bottoms and long hair man.

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Poor John.
It was really instructive to try to use it after using nice planes from LV and BCTW. Astoundingly awful. The very thin blade could be sharpened, but didn't hold an edge. The lever cap wouldn't hold the blade securely. The adjuster was unadjustable. And the blade was so thin that it cut into your hand at the back when holding the plane.

I found out later that I got ripped off on the block plane: I bought it at Canadian Tire for $39. It was only $19 at Home Depot...

Are you sure you were holding it correctly? The blade was suppose to be pointing down and away from you. If you got shavings they were suppose to come out of the top near that opening hole thing. Just plane trying to help
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-15-2011, 11:03 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

The totally therapeutic value of your wonderful project would have been lost if you had planned for it by bringing extra tools or materials or even sketched a model -- they were probably the most relaxing couple of vacation days you could have ever hoped for. Very similar to when we were all kids, you just "played" with whatever was available.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

That it exactly, Ron. I was really fried at the end of the quarter, and I needed to do something really different. I didn't even have the energy to read anything for the first few days of the vacation. Making this thing was the perfect antidote. The challenge of working with the tools and woods available to me made it particularly fun.

So next year I'll take a month off, and see if I can get an 8 bar blues xylophone going down the hill...
Old 07-16-2011, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post
John,

That was very cool. However, it made me long for my black light, some beads, bell bottoms and long hair man.

Fred

Wow Fred you must be like 90 years old
Old 07-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Tee hee. I'll see if I can get a movie of it. Actually, whistling is one of my hidden talents. I can do a Bach gavotte like you wouldn't believe. Apparently it's not a big money-maker, though...

Glad you liked it, Laurie. I thought it might appeal to your sense of whimsy.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
What a wonderful project, Peter - I LOVE IT!!!

But... let's have a vote, everybody...

Who wants to hear Peter do the Franks Family Whistle?

I do!!!!!!

C,mon, Peter. Pleeez?
Yes, I do too.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
Almost forgot. This may be my favorite part of the story:

Whew! So glad you didn't fall off. Safety first.
Guess I missed a "t" on "It". Good catch, Laurie.

But the hill was pretty steep. I could have fallen off...