talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 01:35 AM

Default Re: Brass and Exotics Dovetail Markers

Trevor,

Very nice tools. I have been working on some squares myself and just ordered a countersink tool HEAVY DUTY BALL BEARING C/S-AVERY TOOLS , L.P. that is micro adjustable and uses interchangeable piloted countersinks. It looks to be the ticket for this job.

-Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2011, 11:28 AM

That's a good tip, I look into those, though I might hop on the lathe and turn a dedicated piloted CS from drill rod. I'm also looking at these bad boys....http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Produc...8261607448.jpg

A Zero Flute CS, they cut chatter down a lot.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-09-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorWalsh View Post
That's a good tip, I look into those, though I might hop on the lathe and turn a dedicated piloted CS from drill rod. I'm also looking at these bad boys....http://upload.ecvv.com/upload/Produc...8261607448.jpg

A Zero Flute CS, they cut chatter down a lot.
I have the Centrotec version of that type of countersink and it is pretty awesome in wood. Very fast and very smooth cutting even with a minimal pilot hole and no chatter. Makes the old school multi ridged countersinks seem barbaric.

However well it cuts, it sometimes wanders off the pilot hole a little.
Old 07-23-2011, 03:42 PM

The latest one done on commission...Ebony and Brass.
Attached Thumbnails
brass-exotics-dovetail-markers-attachment-2.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Perfect! No sign of the screws.

I get the 1:8, but what's the TWD? The wight-angled dovetail?
Old 07-23-2011, 09:59 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Perfect! No sign of the screws.

I get the 1:8, but what's the TWD? The wight-angled dovetail?
Trevor's Truly Wicked Wild Dovetail Device.

Oops...double struck.
Old 07-24-2011, 12:16 AM

Poto, it stande for Trevor Walsh Designs, that's been the name I've been operating under for a few commissions and my blog for the past year. I've got business cards for it and use it mainly to identify myself. I also use a makers stamp with "T.Walsh Phila." on larger things and my personal tools.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

Well that takes all the fun out of it!

Nice work, Trevor.
Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 AM

Thanks Poto, I'm trying, I dream of one day having a woodworking school/tool factory in a 19th century building in Philadelphia, employing a group of people and helping to revive craft in America...I have no idea how exactly to go about this; I make some tools, or replacement parts (short rods and cutter for the Record 043) for people that message me on the OldTools list or forums. I'm hoping that these markers are the beginning of that journey.

I might as well get some surprise going, I'm working on designing a line of fine, tang pairing chisels in the style of Charles Buck. I've been reading about the old Buck Bros. plant, they had something like 9 employees when the three brothers first started the company, it's very inspiring. I want to bring that back.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

You go girl!

Oh - that was some other forum.

Great idea, Trevor, and good luck on your venture. I think it's a golden age of fine hand tools, and fine woodworking. We're fortunate to have access to the resources that we do, and to have a group such as those on talkFestool to share our work with. Good luck, and let us know if we can help!