talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 02:50 PM

Default Ingredients for six chairs

Most of the parts for six chairs, Oak and Bubinga
I might spray a finish on these before I glue up
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Ingredients for six chairs

That's a lot of work there. Looks like this one job payed for your FMT. Looking forward to seeing the next phase.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-07-2011, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Wow, Okamisan - that's a serious amount of work! Are these going to be your curved-back chairs? Or something new. I can hardly wait to see. Please keep the pictures coming.

When you spray on a finish prior to assembly do you mask off all the joints, etc?
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM

Location: On a street named after a bush between two streets named after trees.

Okami,

Okay... I counted 24 bubinga legs. Then there are the longer legs in the background. Are these bar chairs or such? Also, I didn't see anything for the seats - are you going to upholster or weave them?
Old 07-07-2011, 11:32 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlairWoodworks View Post
Okami,

Okay... I counted 24 bubinga legs. Then there are the longer legs in the background. Are these bar chairs or such? Also, I didn't see anything for the seats - are you going to upholster or weave them?
Since there are six chairs I'm guessing he made two spare parts.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:20 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

I see happiness in some lucky customer's future.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Yes, these are the curved back chairs i've made in the past.
12legs, 24back rests/slats (4 on each chair ).
Not all the parts are here, corner blocks, seat parts etc.. They will be upholstered.. One part of the job I dred.. I've upholstered quite a few chairs but consider myself a complete novice. I could out-source that part of the job, but the upholster charges quite a bit, and it really eats into my profits.

The FMT is one jig I wouldn't want to be without for these chairs
I'm also still a novice with the spray gun, and find it easier to spray these parts before glue-up.. That means having to mask the joinery areas. Theresa lot of joinery in six chairs, so a ton of masking... but I prefer that to struggling with it all assembled.
I could rub an oil finish something similar on, but it just doesn't hold up as well, and the table that goes with these was sprayed.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:54 AM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Yes, these are the curved back chairs i've made in the past.
12legs, 24back rests/slats (4 on each chair ).
Not all the parts are here, corner blocks, seat parts etc.. They will be upholstered.. One part of the job I dred.. I've upholstered quite a few chairs but consider myself a complete novice. I could out-source that part of the job, but the upholster charges quite a bit, and it really eats into my profits.

The FMT is one jig I wouldn't want to be without for these chairs
I'm also still a novice with the spray gun, and find it easier to spray these parts before glue-up.. That means having to mask the joinery areas. Theresa lot of joinery in six chairs, so a ton of masking... but I prefer that to struggling with it all assembled.
I could rub an oil finish something similar on, but it just doesn't hold up as well, and the table that goes with these was sprayed.
Okamisan, You can fool some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time but you can't fool anybody on this forum about being a novice at anything furniture making -- we've all seen the exquisiteness of all aspects of your craftsmanship.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Most of the parts for six chairs, Oak and Bubinga
I might spray a finish on these before I glue up
That's a beautiful set of legs you got there Okami. I especially like the shop floor and no apparent "place for everything." Love it. Cause if you could see mine
Old 07-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
That's a beautiful set of legs you got there Okami. I especially like the shop floor and no apparent "place for everything." Love it. Cause if you could see mine
I don't know what you mean Mark, there's a place for everything in my shop...
Usually placed where I used it last, or put it down under a pile of curlies
I'm quite well known for being a messy woodworker, it's just in my nature, I can't keep the place clean and organized for more than two hours
when I was at college, we were taught to keep things clean and organized... As soon as I had my own woodshop, all those lessons went out the window.
It's how real woodshops are supposed to look anyway